• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I eradicate a nest of yellow jackets, safely.....

I had a nest of some kind of aggressive bees in the ground in my back yard in SC. I cranked up the mulching lawn mower, lowered the deck all the way and parked it over the hole. What a mess. Got them all though.

I call Angels Pest Control now

regular spraying under/around the house
& around the property

I use to do the chemicals methods, fun but
can be bad for someone allergic

I saw something on some TV show
with an Exterminator dude
looked like a Heavy Metal Rocker, Billy from Louisianna area

I've had decent luck with the sprays
there's some chrysanthemum (flower) oil (?)
don't remember the brand or name, been a long time
BUT;
that is not harmful to pets or kids etc.
but anything with an exoskeleton, like bees, wasps, spiders etc.
will die very quickly it dissolves soft tissues/liquids within
their shell/joints sort of
gets into their body & they are dead post haste, very quick
like instant

I call Angels Pest Control now

regular spraying under/around the house
& around the property

I use to do the chemicals methods, fun but
can be bad for someone allergic

I've had decent luck with the sprays
there's some chrysanthemum (flower) oil (?)
don't remember the brand or name, been a long time
BUT;
that is not harmful to pets or kids etc.
but anything with an exoskeleton, like bees, wasps, spiders etc.
will die very quickly it dissolves soft tissues/liquids within
their shell/joints sort of
gets into their body & they are dead post haste, very quick
like instant
Yep. One thing about being a regular customer is you get priority service when you call for the cavalry. :thumbsup:

Turtle Man?

turtleman_fullsize_story1.jpg

Have seen smoke work to knock them out and then drop the nest in a bucket of oil and cover.

In the late 70's I was mowing my sister's yard and on the second pass in the back yard mowing along a flower bed with shrubs a bee flew across my line of sight and upon looking to the left I saw a good size bee hive. I'm pretty sure they were honey bees but I exited right just the same and in trying to bring the lawn mower with me, it rolled over and lost my grip on it. At that point it was still running but didn't see a swam of bees flying around so went cautiously to grab it and shut it off before it burned up and left the area quickly. Thankfully, no stings. But a couple of years ago I found this on the back of my weight machine! Yeah, it had been there for a pretty good while and it scares me to think I had been using this machine for a good while before I noticed the nest. Wasps and were what we call yellow jackets. Checks before using is the norm now. I left the nest there as a reminder!!

IMG_20210726_162623144.jpg IMG_20210726_162554457.jpg

There was a big grey ball nest on the opposite side of a local intersection here. off in the trees a year ago. It's gone now, not sure why but it was the size of a basketball. Remember thinking that it would be wise to stay away from that sucker.

Get a small handheld duster and sevin dust. The duster is very inexpensive. I’ve been using one for several years and it works great. Just wait until dark and powder the hell out of them. The little hose fits in most tight spots. The dust will last you years if you need it for other nests. Mike

I put a shop vac about 2 inches from the hole. It sucked them coming out and going in. Saw it on Youtube...redneck way and it worked!!!! 3 buckets full
IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1632.JPG

When I was young I got stung on my back and neck over 20 times by bees just like that. I got kind of sick and felt like I was on fire. The small town DR said I would either be allergic or immune to be stings. So I was very careful after that, but being an adventurous young boy I got stung on one of my adventures with no affect.

View attachment 1144083I had 1 like that at deer camp...like a dummy I hit it with a 12 ga...it was fun tho
Had one of those in my back yard a couple of years ago, got stung on my thumb by one of those little bastards, took a year for the pain to go away! Never knew that bald face hornets were in Colorado!

Getting stung while asleep in bed almost sounds like a horror movie. I haven't seen a wasp in years. We just don't get many bugs here, but you have to consider we are about 2,250 feet above Denver. Some years we get Miller Moths but it's fun watching the swallows pick them off at intersections. Here's a story from Longmont, Colorado.

Those are swallows — likely barn swallows — and they are chasing miller moths, according to Jennifer Churchill, public information officer for the Division of Wildlife’s Northeast Region.

But why at intersections?

Churchill explained that at night, the moths tend to hang around the lights at those intersections, then stay around during the day. That attracts the swallows.

I found several other explanations online and cannot verify them. Those include theories that moths hide in the crevices of cars, then fly once the cars stop at traffic lights, and another that broad intersections are like meadows and the poles and lines are like trees on which the birds can sit and watch for prey.

I checked with Colorado State University biologist Cameron Ghalambor, who has helped me with bird questions in the past.

“Funny. My daughter asked me this same question a few days ago,” Ghalambor said in an email. “The short answer is I don’t know for sure why swallows or moths congregate at intersections, but my guess is the consistent stopping and going of the cars allows the insects to settle then kicks them up, which draws the swallows in.”

If I hear more from Ghalambor, I’ll let you know, Tom.

Auto Transport Service
Back