• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I lean out my Thermoquad?

Nick 916

Local time
2:56 PM
Reaction score
74 Charger with 360. Seems to be running rich. Any simple step by step? Thanks for any input!

Are they not setup like a Edelbrock?
I always thought that on carters, and Edelbrocks:
To LEAN:
1. Idle down the 2 "MIXTURE" screws.
Keep a close eye on your spark plugs.

I would think Cranky, Budnicks, Lewot, Hemi-itis, Mike Gaines and the rest of the builder/racers would certainly know more than me on this subject.
Hang in there.....
Anticipate more responses....

First step is making sure the basic settings and parts are good. Running rich can be float levels, or leaking well seals. When the engine is idling, look down the throttle bores. Don't blip the throttle, just watch for fuel dripping out of the boosters or the emulsion tubes in the secondaries. If it hasn't been done in years, rebuild the carb with a kit. Make sure the choke pull offs are working along with the vacuum switches that activate them. If all that is good and it's still rich, then you can go leaner on the idle mixture if it's rich at idle. If it's rich at cruise you can also adjust the secondary rod hanger. Counter clockwise will lower the rods in the jets, slightly changing the point at which the steps are reached to add more fuel. If it has to go lean over all throttle openings, you will need to find a set of jets and metering rods to swap in. If you haven;t been collecting Tquads for years, that wil not be easy. But unless the engine was drastically changed that carb should be fine with basic maintenance.

If overly rich check the bowl Wells themselves. They are glued on and I have had them come lose and even fall off.
This is one carb that adjustment procedure needs to be followed to the letter. Everything makes a difference to the next step. What ever you do do not over torque the bowel housing screws or the air cleaner nut. Warp the fuel bowls on one of these makes for quick junk!

Auto Transport Service
Back