• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do these work?

mightymopar

Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
20200805_184006.jpg
Can someone please explain to me how these 2 machine bolts hold the collars together on '67 Coronet steering column. Been driving me nuts now for a number of weeks. Thanks so much for any

20200805_183715.jpg

On the threaded end of those screws are some square nuts. These nuts grab the steering column jacket which keeps them from turning and the screws pull them tight to retain that front collar.

You have a photo of it in your other thread.

Here is what the 1969 service manual shows. Not a great picture of the jacket where the nuts fit in to it. But there are notches. This only goes together one way.

This is the same for column or floor shift.

E0FA3538-6316-4A7F-8475-F58EBDF855D0.jpeg 3AC88DBF-8217-4303-BBF6-21DED0006B19.jpeg

Yes it is a hard thing to figure out but you have to calm down and take your time and tighten each one a little at a time. 69 runner has bolts with nut's but dose the same thing. Had mine together and steering column going in. Put the steering collar on the steering box and figured to get it to slid on better would go and slap on both sides of the steering wheel. Bad idea it popped that collar loose. So had to do it over in the car. The collar with the blinker arm and switch was moving. Good luck You will get it. :thumbsup:

On the threaded end of those screws are some square nuts. These nuts grab the steering column jacket which keeps them from turning and the screws pull them tight to retain that front collar.

You have a photo of it in your other thread.

Here is what the 1969 service manual shows. Not a great picture of the jacket where the nuts fit in to it. But there are notches. This only goes together one way.

This is the same for column or floor shift.

View attachment 994750 View attachment 994751
Thanks man, it ain't easy being an idiot.

Yes it is a hard thing to figure out but you have to calm down and take your time and tighten each one a little at a time. 69 runner has bolts with nut's but dose the same thing. Had mine together and steering column going in. Put the steering collar on the steering box and figured to get it to slid on better would go and slap on both sides of the steering wheel. Bad idea it popped that collar loose. So had to do it over in the car. The collar with the blinker arm and switch was moving. Good luck You will get it. :thumbsup:
Appreciate the help man. Been fighting with this for a while. Like I said before, it ain't easy being an idiot.

If you are not use to something and had not done it before then it is hard to figure thing's out. I saw a guy on U tube rebuilding his and that is how I learned to do mine. Good luck buddy your learning. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back