• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you get a very sticky glue like substance off interior plastic - Anyone

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
I’ve got some very strong glue like substance - like Velcro backing glue. Anyone know how to remove it w/o damaging the black colored grained plastic it’s on - interior piece?

1715644389874.png

1st is it a coating on the plastic or the same material front to back ?

1st is it a coating on the plastic or the same material front to back ?
I tried attaching a convenience piece using super strong Velcro - still not working properly so I want to bail on the idea - but now I’ve got this sticky glue from the Velcro backing on my interior piece where I attached it. The interior area is a kind of soft plastic on the side of my console. I want to remove it w/o damaging or discoloring the area.

@eldubb440 - Yes its a sticky glue - not hard

WD40, Bug and Road Tar remover, Goo Gone like mentioned above. The 3M stuff works but...the newer Cal compliant version with the gold/yellow label doesn't work as well as the older non compliant version with the red label and it etches plastic. Not good! At the shop I managed in the mid 2000's we found this out when the change happened from red to yellow.

WD40, Bug and Road Tar remover, Goo Gone like mentioned above. The 3M stuff works but...the newer Cal compliant version with the gold/yellow label doesn't work as well as the older non compliant version with the red label and it etches plastic. Not good! At the shop I managed in the mid 2000's we found this out when the change happened from red to yellow.
Interesting, I still have my old can and use it flawlessly, as I had done for many years before. Thanks.

I have an old spray can of the red label. I only get it out when the others don't cut the mustard. I also have in my arsenal some Mopar Super Clean that I got from a dealer I worked at once the PRC determined it was too hazardous. It's a bug/road tar/adhesive etc removing solvent. Gotta love the PRC and how they deem stuff hazardous.

I use WD-40 as well. You might need to leave it soak in a few minutes first, but it always seems to work to remove adhesive residue. Stickers are a major pet peeve of mine, I hate them on ANYTHING. A heat gun or hair dryer (not recommended for plastic though) followed by WD-40 on any residue left behind.

I have an old spray can of the red label. I only get it out when the others don't cut the mustard. I also have in my arsenal some Mopar Super Clean that I got from a dealer I worked at once the PRC determined it was too hazardous. It's a bug/road tar/adhesive etc removing solvent. Gotta love the PRC and how they deem stuff hazardous.
If you notice - EVERYTHING in the PRC is labeled HAZARDOUS. I can’t think of anything that doesn’t come w/out the label on it. They sure don’t want to make a mistake so they broad brush it all…..

I tried attaching a convenience piece using super strong Velcro - still not working properly so I want to bail on the idea - but now I’ve got this sticky glue from the Velcro backing on my interior piece where I attached it. The interior area is a kind of soft plastic on the side of my console. I want to remove it w/o damaging or discoloring the area.

@eldubb440 - Yes its a sticky glue - not hard
Rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) BUT be SURE you’re using 70% rubbing alcohol, NOT 92% or it may attack your interior. 70% rubbing alcohol dissolves 2/3 of all adhesives but doesn’t harm any plastic…although it might partially dissolve 1-component interior paint. Factory color will be fine

If you notice - EVERYTHING in the PRC is labeled HAZARDOUS. I can’t think of anything that doesn’t come w/out the label on it. They sure don’t want to make a mistake so they broad brush it all…..
Yeah. And not just automotive stuff too. Luckily I have a decent stash of what will work in case the WD doesn't take care of bizz. Some may make the mistake of going nuclear by whipping out the Acetone, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, Lacquer thinner etc. Great way to ruin plastic, paint etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back