• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you get a very sticky glue like substance off interior plastic - Anyone

I’ve got some very strong glue like substance - like Velcro backing glue. Anyone know how to remove it w/o damaging the black colored grained plastic it’s on - interior piece?
Denatured alcohol. Used
for cleaning fine jewelry
without damaging the
properties of the metal.
One of those thousand
answered questions.
Simple is best.

Last edited:
Hopps #9 Gun bore cleaner worked for me and didn't harm the plastic.

At one company I did work for (actually several) we spent tons of time and money developing an MSDS ready-access file on the company computer system to try to satisfy osha’s regs. We trained the employees how to access this data doing so annually. We documented this training. Guess what? An osha inspector, during an inspection, asked some workers how they can find the MSDS picking out some product they were using. Hmm, go figure, they couldn’t remember offhand plus fearing they might give a bad answer. So the inspector cites a violation leading to a five-grand fine. Well damn hey, we debate this with osha going to their office and upon showing them the efforts to ‘comply’ they were generous enough to drop the fine to $2,500. Like a ‘win’ we should be all happy with? F-NO! Then it leads to having to hire a lawyer for a few grand to contest it. Then it leads to saying…it isn’t worth the cash paying MORE than what the fine is.

Did I mention earlier I’m retired now and NOT missing this – BS?
Slow down bro ….You’re stressing me out now too. And I’ve been retired some 14 yrs now ….. No sense in having a coronary from past bs. Altho I have to admit it’s only been in the last 18 months that I’ve stopped having nightmares about work….. I was in the carrier end of the Ins Biz. Sales exec - “That was yesterday - what are you doing for me today”……….

Slow down bro ….You’re stressing me out now too. And I’ve been retired some 14 yrs now ….. No sense in having a coronary from past bs. Altho I have to admit it’s only been in the last 18 months that I’ve stopped having nightmares about work….. I was in the carrier end of the Ins Biz. Sales exec - “That was yesterday - what are you doing for

At one company I did work for (actually several) we spent tons of time and money developing an MSDS ready-access file on the company computer system to try to satisfy osha’s regs. We trained the employees how to access this data doing so annually. We documented this training. Guess what? An osha inspector, during an inspection, asked some workers how they can find the MSDS picking out some product they were using. Hmm, go figure, they couldn’t remember offhand plus fearing they might give a bad answer. So the inspector cites a violation leading to a five-grand fine. Well damn hey, we debate this with osha going to their office and upon showing them the efforts to ‘comply’ they were generous enough to drop the fine to $2,500. Like a ‘win’ we should be all happy with? F-NO! Then it leads to having to hire a lawyer for a few grand to contest it. Then it leads to saying…it isn’t worth the cash paying MORE than what the fine is.

Did I mention earlier I’m retired now and NOT missing this – BS?
What's this got to do with clearing glue from a plastic piece of trim?
I'm with @GetX'd. Your're stressing ME out.
OSHA ain't gonna be
standing over his shoulder
looking for infractions.

Last edited:
Avon 'Skin So Soft' works wonders. Years ago many people already had this in their house, not so much now days.

Comments were made about how everything seems to be listed as hazardous tripping some deeply unfond memories dealing with it. That’s all. No intention of stressing you out. You’re correct, has nothing to do with the matter posted.
Pardon me, and ask that you please accept my apologies for sharing this.
No apologies necessary,
all's good.

If you are looking for something that is non-hazardous.....try some good old-fashioned steam from a boiling kettle.

Now I suppose OSHA will get involved as you get 3rd degree burns on your hand.....but at least the burns won't be cancer-causing. :rolleyes:

Like everyone said I use wd-40 on office furniture it works wonders nothing has been damaged to date.

Wow, this has been helpful....... Now you know why I avoid the political section, I know better.

I’m dealing with trying to remove Diamond shield protector from the front of my rv. I have tried most of the stuff mentioned here to no avail. I was thinking about getting some of this stuff back when it was only $137/gallon. Now it’s listed at 195/gallon and it’s sold out.
1715865674249.png

I’m dealing with trying to remove Diamond shield protector from the front of my rv. I have tried most of the stuff mentioned here to no avail. I was thinking about getting some of this stuff back when it was only $137/gallon. Now it’s listed at 195/gallon and it’s sold out.
View attachment 1663851
Is that like a decal? If so and if it's been on the RV for awhile baking in the sun, you most likely will need to use an Eraser Wheel followed up with some buffing of the paint. The wheel mars up the paint a bit and the buffing will take care of that. You can buy wheels that fit cordless drills or buy the low speed machine. Works great for leftover two sided tape from trim, decals etc.
Vinyl Eraser and Arbor

Eastwood Contour SCT Narrow Eraser Wheel

https://www.amazon.com/Dynabrade-Nitro-NitroZip-Eraser-Wheel
Eastwood CONTOUR SCT® - Surface Conditioning Tool

Thanks, I might try that. So far I have scraped about 25% of the clear plastic film with some wd40 and a plastic razor blade scraper. I used some of that goof off, the scraper,a rag and some serious rubbing to get about a 3”x4” section free of that adhesive crap.

Auto Transport Service
Back