• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you open a 2005 Ram 3500 with a dead battery?

I can usually get in a car in 10-15 minutes with wedges and some heavy wire.

I tried tig wire to get the lock knob, but the knob dosen't have much to grab onto.
I would need a longer and heavier rod (that I don't have) to get the door handle.

I didn't disappear, I went to sleep.
Not sure how the keyed door lock works, but my back door electric locks quit working about a year ago? Might be related?

Worst case, I'll just break the drivers side window as I have wanted to replace it anyway. The inner film seems delaminated and the window is hazy like it is always dirty.
It took about 10 minutes with a screw driver and coat hanger to pop the clip on my rear slider window and climb in the truck, if your truck is equipped with the rear sliding glass.

If the key turns in the drivers door lock but doesn't do anything then yes, a link rod has come off. Not likely connected (no pun) to the power lock problem though. I don't remember back when I had mine, but is there a lock cylinder on the front passenger door too? Or only driver door? Can't remember when they changed all that...

I second the slider rear window trick - that plastic catch is easy to pop loose and cheap to replace. Easier than cleaning up all that glass, too!

@451Mopar And if you do decide to break the window, tape the snot out of it before doing so. That should catch the majority of the glass 'pellets' when it shatters.

You probably need a scan tool.

A "correct" dealer cut key is a good place to start. I have grabbed the wrong key quite often for my 2 Dakota's.
What years are your Dakota's?
We have 3 newer "key fob" vehicles and I couldn't tell you for sure if the key works in the door or not. Never used it. Never tried it.
Might try it to see if it works before you need it and it doesn't work. Was working on someone's newer Mustang a couple of years ago and it had been sitting and the battery died and had to get a locksmith out to open it up. He ended up 'bending' the door a bit and sliding in a tool to unlock it. The car had the regular mechanical looking lock on the driver's side only and the hard key didn't do anything. I'm guessing if you don't use them for years they get where they don't work.....?

@451Mopar And if you do decide to break the window, tape the snot out of it before doing so. That should catch the majority of the glass 'pellets' when it shatters.

What years are your Dakota's?

Interesting dilemma there. The key works the ignition lock but not the door? One poster mentioned that the link may have come off. One possibility. The other, which I never witnessed in my dealer days but is a possibility, is that the lock does not have the same tumbler combo as the ignition lock. I did see on rare occasions where the code listed in the system when I did a VIN check for key code did not match what the vehicle had in real life. What I generally did then was change the tumbler pack combo in the locks to match what Mopar said it was supposed to have. Cut down on surprises down the road for the customer. Just because it's never heard of doesn't mean weird stuff doesn't happen. Especially when humans are involved.
My 04 has the lock only on the drivers door.

Well now the story comes out. The key turns the lock but doesn't open the door. Call a locksmith or a Towing company that unlocks cars.

Thanks everyone. I finally got it open. Removing the splash shield (like 7 screws with 8mm head) gave me access to get the rubber cover off the battery cable on the top of the starter and then I was able to connect the battery charger to the starter stud. A few minutes of charging and I was able to unlock the truck with the key fob.
The Battery charger is now on the battery doing its job.
I'll have to check if the lock rod disconnected from the door key lock?

I did break down and ordered a manual for the truck. Never really needed one, but it sure would have helped here.

Was having keyless entry on a 96 Dakota an option? Mine is a 96 Sport and only has a regular key....no power locks or windows either. My 97 2500 has p/locks and windows but it's still hard key entry.

Was having keyless entry on a 96 Dakota an option? Mine is a 96 Sport and only has a regular key....no power locks or windows either. My 97 2500 has p/locks and windows but it's still hard key entry.
Nope. My old cars and Dakota's have key locks. My 3 later model vehicles have fobs.

Thanks everyone. I finally got it open. Removing the splash shield (like 7 screws with 8mm head) gave me access to get the rubber cover off the battery cable on the top of the starter and then I was able to connect the battery charger to the starter stud. A few minutes of charging and I was able to unlock the truck with the key fob.
The Battery charger is now on the battery doing its job.
I'll have to check if the lock rod disconnected from the door key lock?

I did break down and ordered a manual for the truck. Never really needed one, but it sure would have helped here.
I doubt that would have been in the manual...

I didn't disappear, I went to sleep.
Not sure how the keyed door lock works, but my back door electric locks quit working about a year ago? Might be related?

Worst case, I'll just break the drivers side window as I have wanted to replace it anyway. The inner film seems delaminated and the window is hazy like it is always dirty.
You have the police come and slim Jim it open. I know dodge trucks are notorious for their easy access.

well, batteries might be shot?
Had them charging the last few hours and maybe 6-7 volts.
I just disconnected then both, and put the charger on desulfation cycle on one battery.
I'll see if that allows the battery to re-charge?

well, batteries might be shot?
Had them charging the last few hours and maybe 6-7 volts.
I just disconnected then both, and put the charger on desulfation cycle on one battery.
I'll see if that allows the battery to re-charge?
How old are they?

Got them last year. Originally had "Energizer" batteries that I got at Sams club, and they lasted 8+ years, so went to Sams club and got the new "Duracell" batteries they carry now, not impressed with those batteries, but the truck has been sitting for 6 months too.
Once / if the batteries recharge I will check for any extra current draw from the truck, and load test the batteries too.
Also, check why the door does not unlock with the key.

Got them last year. Originally had "Energizer" batteries that I got at Sams club, and they lasted 8+ years, so went to Sams club and got the new "Duracell" batteries they carry now, not impressed with those batteries, but the truck has been sitting for 6 months too.
Once / if the batteries recharge I will check for any extra current draw from the truck, and load test the batteries too.
Also, check why the door does not unlock with the key.
Yeah, I've never had good luck letting a vehicle sit for that long without the battery/batteries going down. You can also experience electrolysis in the cooling system when sitting that long. Been there done all of that lol

Auto Transport Service
Back