• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you tell the difference between a 383 & 440?

The Rebel

Local time
3:27 AM
Reaction score
Hey all. I want to use this car as a guide for things for me to look out for. The seller claims it's a 440 but someone has pointed out the engine is painted the wrong color. Were 440's ever painted turquoise at the factory in 67/68? Would it be turquoise b/c it had ac due to lower HP? For a 383 I've learned some were painted turquoise if it had ac due to lower HP and a milder cam. If the car was non-ac then it would be orange to show it was higher HP.

Also I'm sure this is a dumb question but I'm asking anyhow, LOL! If you wanted to verify what size the engine truly is I'm guessing you need to look at all of the casting #'s on the block, heads, in take manifold. If someone was trying to pass a 383 off as a 440 I'm assuming you couldn't fit a 440 intake manifold onto a 383 to fool someone could you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charg...4b3585c2:g:SwEAAOSwxg5Xxyog&item=331974280642

Raised/square boss on the block, to the right of the distributor? RB motor.

Here's pictures of a 440 block and 383 block. As stated above, the telltale sign of a 440 block over a 383 is the ID block on the 440 motor (see arrow pointing). The 383 does not have a pad in the same area. The casting numbers also verify it.

383.JPG 440 toppad 2a.jpg

The color had to do with what make it was. Plymouth, dodge or Chrysler. Even the HP's in RT chargers in 68 were turquoise but in road runners they were orange. Also the 440's that were high horse power were stamped HP or HP2 on the boss. Not sure about the 383's and 400's.

Thanks. Do you have ac in your's? From what I understand if you have AC then it's painted Turquoise due to lower HP. Non-A/c cars had higher HP so they were painted Orange, correct?

68 road runner 383's were turquoise . I have one.

No a/c on my bee & it was 335horse model.

So in this case, the seller is claiming that it has a 440, but it's painted turquoise which is the wrong color for Plymouth and Dodge 440's. So without being able to see the engine block to verify he may be actually selling a 383 but claiming a 440.

I would think that in your example, on that condition of car, that he should know what he is selling.
If in doubt, I'd ask for a pick of the engine ID pad.

Thanks guys! He's a re-seller so based on his email the # I believe he is referring to is actually the intake manifold # used on a 440 & NOT the block So in the end what we have here is a 1967 intake manifold on a 440-4 engine painted Turquoise which is the correct color, assuming the ID pad is stamped in the correct location to ID this as being a RB.

New message from: buyemallbill (183)
Can't see the head casting #s, but the block is #2806178 with casting date 9.5.67, so possibly date correct?

If it's stock, just do a quick search of the intake manifold part number. Here's a handy list of numbers:
http://www.mymopar.com/intakecastnumb.htm

Here's a good link for ALL the casting numbers. And all the guy has to do is get under the car, and look on driver side of block under the spark plugs for the casting number to confirm whether it's a 440. The block could be a 413 as they had the ID pad in the same spot as the 440, but look and see if valve covers have hold down screws in front upper corners on intake side. 440 valve covers should have 6 hold down screws, 413 has only 4.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/motor/36.html

Thanks, that link has all of the info I was looking for!

The car (non-numbers matching, missing fender tag, no build sheet....) has been sold so I wanted to use this car as a learning tool to be able to confirm what is really under the hood of a car. Paint alone is not the way to ID it. If the seller had posted more pic's it would have been ideal but also no pic's of the VIN either so I was very wary to put a bid on the car which is too bad as it was everything I was looking for.

Here's a good link for ALL the casting numbers. And all the guy has to do is get under the car, and look on driver side of block under the spark plugs for the casting number to confirm whether it's a 440. The block could be a 413 as they had the ID pad in the same spot as the 440, but look and see if valve covers have hold down screws in front upper corners on intake side. 440 valve covers should have 6 hold down screws, 413 has only 4.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/motor/36.html

So in this case, the seller is claiming that it has a 440, but it's painted turquoise which is the wrong color for Plymouth and Dodge 440's. So without being able to see the engine block to verify he may be actually selling a 383 but claiming a 440.
That seller is a rude dick.
s-l1600 (13).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back