• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could only do one...

fesser

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:55 PM
Reaction score
So, while trying to figure out where to spend money on my project 68 Coronet, I have been pondering many things. Among those is bang for the buck on an engine rebuild. The engine will be a 440. It will be running HP exhaust manifolds, an almost stock intake and a stock carburetor. I am trying to keep the engine stock appearing. My question is, if you had to choose, would you run aftermarket heads (specifically 440 Source Stealth heads) or stroke it? I realize there is no perfect answer due to other variables. I am looking at it as adding money to an otherwise fairly stock rebuild. Where would you put the money, or not at all?

Results of a stroker swap using already too small stock heads, and manifolds acting as a further cork..... you won't be happy with the results. (Ask me how I know. I've done exactly that!)
Experience says: heads, 100%, if only gonna do one or the other.

The old saying is build the best shortblock you can afford. You can always upgrade the heads later.

That being said if you plan on keeping everything else stock I would agree to do the heads. Any porting you do to them will only make you smile later on.

My quick story, I built a 465 c.i. shortblock for my 73 Charger (3.91 crank in a .030 over 440 block. Kept the stock cylinder heads. Ran just like the 440 did.It had a decent cam at the time. Put a set of ported big valve heads on it from Hensley Racing and it became an animal. HUGE difference.

440 source heads are an upgrade over the stock heads for sure. A little extra work will only help. Be sure to check the springs,valve job,etc. They may be fine out of the box but they might not be....

If you are doing a rebuild anyway consider lighter pistons and rods.If not in the budget no big deal.

If you are doing a rebuild anyway consider lighter pistons and rods. If not in the budget no big deal.

I agree with your post above, and indeed all the posts above.

However, I will say, when it comes to this part of the quote, this is beyond the tipping point for me.... If I was gonna spend that much money to get good pistons and rods, I would have to spend a little more and go for the stroker bottom end, even it was done up as a 451 or a 470 which is not really a giant project as strokers go.

My answer: not at all. Engine is an air pump, and on both ends you're restricting it.
Exactly why put better flowing heads to put stock exhaust manifolds, "mostly" stock intake and carb with more than likely a stock cam...

I agree with Lefty! There is little sense in trying for light parts without going for more stroke.
My pistons for my 522 are almost 300 grams lighter than the domed ashtrays I took out of my maxwedge ( the one that needed added steel Weights welded to the crank cheeks to balance). And the long 4340 rat rods have better bearing speed, made of better material, and lighter than Ly rods, not to mention sixpack or hemi rods.
But still, if I didn't have MUCH better heads than 906s or 452s, there would be no sense in building anything bigger than a 440, in my opinion.

Auto Transport Service
Back