• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does a 68 charger trunk lid prop open?

Rck68

Local time
8:46 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

what is the mechanism and where can I find it, to prop open a 68 charger trunk lid?

my trunk weighs a ton right now when I open it, because only the hinges are connected. What else is necessary, springs??
Can’t find anything on this! Thank you for any help.

ED64A63B-1F3C-494F-A424-7ACC302A853B.jpeg
7003C18A-16B3-4728-BEC3-FE06B816E9B2.jpeg
There are two springs that look like long rods. One side of the rod is attached to the hinge and the other one goes in a slot on the opposite side of the trunk. If a wing or a luggage rack is attached to the trunk the extra slots, when used, make the springs tighter and able to hold the trunk up with the extra added weight. In the first picture I am pointing to the two rods with a wooden dowel. Each Spring has a length wider than that of the trunk opening. The pictures are from a 1968 Coronet. The rods work the same way as the torsion bars on the front suspension of your car.

Last edited:
Missing torsion bar's. Also the glider spools that go on the rod and slide on the hinge bars.

They are a pain to put in. Maybe some one here has an easy way to get them in.

Correct. I have been trying to get them in my 68. A Royal PITA for a weak old Gummer like Me. I wish some one would do a video on this.
What about the support where the torsion bar inserts, is that just the chassis or another piece?

What about the support where the torsion bar inserts, is that just the chassis or another piece?
Do you mean the welded on part to the inner wheel well and dutchman panel where the hinges attach?

Do you mean the welded on part to the inner wheel well and dutchman panel where the hinges attach?
Yes I guess that’s where the torsion bars attach correct? Through the trunk hinges then into that welded in metal with the three slots.

To make it easier to see, I put masking tape on the torsion bar that puts upward pressure on the drivers side trunk hinge.
The first picture shows the end of the torsion bar going onto the slider, then passing through the hinge support bracket.
The second shows the route it takes to the other side of the trunk.
The third shows how the two torsion bars criss-cross at the middle of the trunk.
The fourth shows the torsion bar partially going behind the passenger side hinge support bracket, coming back out, and going into the first adjustment slot.
The fifth shows a close up of that. The tape has been taken off of the rod, which is at the top of the photo.
The other torsion bar is opposite symmetrical in shape and installation.
t1.jpg
t2.jpg
t3.jpg
t4.jpg
t5.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back