• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Does This Spark Plug Look To You??

JG71B

Local time
12:20 AM
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on the appearance of this plug (all 8 look about the same). Bone stock 77 400 4bbl, 1406 carb with stock rods and jets, Weiand intake, stock electronic ignition with an orange box and headers. Initial timing 15* btdc and 34 or so total and using 89 or 90 non ethanol. Thanks!
20221005_201729.jpg
20221005_201500.jpg
20221005_201508.jpg
20221005_201513.jpg
20221005_202612.jpg

Needs more initial timing as well.

Might just be the pic, but the gap looks pretty big for that level of ignition. What's the gap?

To me it looks like you need to get rid of those Bosch's and get some NGKs.

To me it looks like you need to get rid of those Bosch's and get some NGKs.
Here you go.....XR4's. Through those back in and just back from a 10-12 mile ride. About half of those on the highway. Averaged about 70mph. A couple pedal mashes to 100+ with a steady cruise afterwards
20221007_150114.jpg
20221007_150122.jpg
20221007_150119.jpg
20221007_150127.jpg

Needs more initial timing as well.
At 15*. Original dizzy, untouched. I run VA also. Runs and drives great but these plugs looking this way to me, says it can be better

Not too bad, maybe use a bit hotter plug or a step or so leaner on the main jets.

At 15*. Original dizzy, untouched. I run VA also. Runs and drives great but these plugs looking this way to me, says it can be better
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the response if you get the timing mark into the bend (or at least very close) of the ground strap. Of course everything else will need some re-tweaking afterwards, but hey..that's tunin'!

In other words aim to get that mark at the blue arrow, to nearer where the yellow arrow is pointing,
Inked20221005_201500f7i.jpg

Last edited:
Guys who are experts... It looks rich to me, however, the first thread isn't colored/dark, why is that? Just run time?

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the response if you get the timing mark into the bend (or at least very close) of the ground strap. Of course everything else will need some re-tweaking afterwards, but hey..that's tunin'!

In other words aim to get that mark at the blue arrow, to nearer where the yellow arrow is pointing,
View attachment 1354228
Here are the NGK's I just ran today. Is this more what I should see at the strap? Previous plugs were #1 plugs. This is the #2 plug(indoor/outdoor lighting). Starting to wonder if these Accel yellow 8mm wires are garbage....I can't see a stock 1406 jetting etc being too much for a big block. Even a stock one. I could be wrong.
20221007_165203.jpg
20221007_163823.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the NGK's I just ran today. Is this more what I should see at the strap? Previous plugs were #1 plugs. This is the #2 plug(indoor/outdoor lighting). Starting to wonder if these Accel yellow 8mm wires are garbage....I can't see a stock 1406 jetting etc being too much for a big block. Even a stock one. I could be wrong.
View attachment 1354261View attachment 1354259
Stock jetting sure can be too rich for a given combe; the engine will want it wants for the conditions, fuel quality, etc. As far as the timing read on the NGKs, there isn't much of a defined mark as there was with those first plugs, at least to my eyes and screen anyway? "If it was me" I'd put in a couple of new plugs and bump the initial to 18 and drive it (without stomping it hard) and see how it feels. Give it some miles and then take a look at the new plugs, if you like the burn mark and the throttle response, then go from there. Of course....this is kind of "going down the wormhole" of tuning but you should IMO always get the timing squared away before getting into the carb.

Looks like oil contamination

Back in the day, I could never really read much from the plugs. I played with several brands, of course started with Champions, later NGK's, Auto Lites. Also V notched the electrodes. Auto Lites always looked better, but no real difference in ET or MPH. I stuck with the NGK's. Mine was a BB iron head.

Eddy carbs are calibrated @ sea level and are usually Fat from the factory. Get the ignition squared away like Beanhead said then start messing with the carb. I would get the Calibration kit and start leaning it out in small steps. A 0.98 primary jet is fairly fat, follow the Ed chart. The first lean step #6 is just a rod change= easy.

I’m not 100% sure but I think the factory recommends an initial timing of 7 to 12? Would he be a little higher if he’s at 15?

Auto Transport Service
Back