• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How early is an early build date?

gdrill

Just enjoying "B"-ing here
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:31 AM
Reaction score
Stuck in the past, just North of Montana....
I have a 1971 Plymouth. It has a build date of 810, 8 / 10 / 1970,according to the decoder. The vin is very low, 101018. But I was always under the impression build years began in October? I thought my 1971 Challenger was an early car with an A23 / October 23rd build date, but it is 90,000 plus cars later by sequence number! Is this particular decoder wrong?

So when the heck did they begin the build year?

Last edited:
I had a 68 R/T with an August date....... the engine pad was 8 11...... cant remember the exact date on the tag

My '68 Coronet RT birthday is 9/29 September '67 built. An early car. 1306xx

Any car built in August IMO definitely qualifies as early.... Late September I'm not so sure really qualifies as early....

I consider it "early " because it has the 67 parts that were used before January '68. I'm not sure about '71 cars. Just letting OP know October isn't the earliest.

August is the earliest. Out of the 11 month production run I would consider Aug, Sep and Oct to be early built.
I had a 72 RR built 8/71 that had quit a bit of 71 stuff.

It depends on the year. The traditional 8/1 dates from the 60's starts to float in the 70s' and get later and later into August. By the time you get to model year 1976, the 'early' cars are in September.

August 1st of any build year is generally the very start of the new model year and the first builds. The earliest I've owned was a '71 Newport coupe with a SPD of 802, and a VIN of 100310. Another neat triple-pickle big ride I should've kept.

I had a '63 Savoy 4 door, 318, stick, manual brakes and steering, radio delete and 15" tires! Yeah, who speced this one? It was 182 off the line at Newark. I don't remember the date.

VINs and SPDs have little to no relation to actual produciton. There is absolutely no way to know 'build date' or 'build sequence order' from only a VIN or SPD. Therefore 'early' is a relative term. Secondary documentation is necessary.

An 'August car' may have been built in July. It may have been built in late September or early October.

72_SCHEDULED_VS_PRODUCTION_STICKER.jpg

JH23G3B597601_SPD_MDH.jpg

I had a 68 R/T with an August date....... the engine pad was 8 11...... cant remember the exact date on the tw
I have a 1971 Plymouth. It has a build date of 810, 8 / 10 / 1970,according to the decoder. The vin is very low, 101018. But I was always under the impression build years began in October? I thought my 1971 Challenger was an early car with an A23 / October 23rd build date, but it is 90,000 plus cars later by sequence number! Is this particular decoder wrong?

My 70 Coronet was build 8/22. That would qualify as pretty early I would say.

My 69 bird has a build date of 7/28 and the first Hemi produced at Lynch Rd. for that year.

Well, I guess my date knowledge started around the mid 70's. I did not realize there was such a stretch of earlier build dates in the previous years.

Thanks for the input folks.

There's a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe over here with a serial number 100125.
Don't recall the SPD. No photo.

Auto Transport Service
Back