• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How far do the exhaust tips extend past the bumper?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
1969 Coronet R/T.

Installed TTI system. Instructions for the tips just say as far as you like. Very helpful. I'm thinking 2.5" past the bumper. Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks FBBO

Just my opinion but on my road runner I like them about an inch to inch and a half at the park 003.jpg

Just my opinion but on my road runner I like them about an inch to inch and a halfView attachment 127220

I never found any specs. So, after looking at a bunch of photos like yours, I think that's about right. Far enough to get the fumes out from under the car and not discolor the bumper.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'll be going down that road myself soon and this thread helps out. I never paid much attention but I will now. I also think the 1" - 1.5" is about right.

Is that a R6 red Runner? Looks good! Mine is R4.

Yes that is R-6,and if your car has the correct tip hangers you push the brackets on the tips all the way in it gives you the correct amount out back,thats what I did,my car must have come from the factory with turn downs and the previous owner put chrome tips on and they stuck way out because he used the turn down hangers,I got the correct hangers and the mounting bolts were in the frame from the factory after chasing down and cleaning the threads the bolted right up This is what it looked like when I bought it. Beep Beep 012.jpg

I bought the TTI 3" exhaust. It comes with hangers. I also bought their stainless steel tips. The tailpipes hang on the stock hanger but the tips clamp on and there is a small pin to keep them from turning. You have to cut the pipes so the tips extend where you like.

When I 1st had mine done,they came up a little short and were discoloring the bumper.So I added some turndowns to extend past the bumper.:thinker:

Attachments

• 3.21.12 (4).jpg
    3.21.12 (4).jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 333
  • 3.20.12 (6).jpg
    3.20.12 (6).jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 398
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1838.jpg
    IMG_1838.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1840.jpg
    IMG_1840.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 372
Here is TTI stock kit I installed

image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 354
These are the factory exh tips on my son Dart. I know its an A-body but it is the factory chrome exh tip extensions. Ron

22948023.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a good one I found of a 68 Coronet. Ron

407235766.gif

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my turndowns on my 63 but I dont think this really helps you as this is how the factory did the turndowns but your car has the exh tips that are straight out. But I figured I would show you these on mine anyway. Ron

407196594.jpg

The roadrunner tips look like they are a bit far out based on what I remember what these cars looked like from the factory back then but then again, I'm getting old :D I say, put them where you like them!

RT Exhaust tips 001.jpgRT Exhaust tips 002.jpg

One inch. Red car is nice, but tips are out further than factory. This is critical. When they are out too far, it looks Chevy-like. That's baaaad.

I agree with Cranky and say put them where you like them. But the 1" out looks about normal to me. Ron

Little more worried

I guess it depends on what you like , the angle you`re on & if you have paint or anything else to deal with. My 2 cents

Attachments

• 00 024.jpg
    00 024.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 320
  • FINISHED 004.jpg
    FINISHED 004.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 320
  • 000 004.jpg
    000 004.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_3756.JPG
    IMG_3756.JPG