• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How important is a matching engine to s/n or year?

Gary Masse

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
I have 1971 GTX with a 1970 440 in it. I have removed the engine due to an oil consumption issue( one quart in 1500 miles) I was told it was rebuilt(5000 miles ago) by a good shop but later found out was a guy in a garage. I torn it down and found lots of incorrect procedures done. So my question is this, do I rebuilt this engine(F440) or find one that is a G440(1971 build) dated before my cars assembly date. I already have a overhaul shop to do it right. I am trying to find what ever happen to the original engine but so for I have found nothing. The past two owners are no help at all.

I would go with the 440 you already have and enjoy the hell out of it after rebuilding it.

Go with what you have. Since it was just rebuilt, it probably doesn't need much to make it right. Even if you buy a G block and rebuild it, it still wont be original.

I don't put any value on the date code stuff at all. If it's the original engine that's one thing but when it's gone no date code is going to make it the original one. Rebuild what you have correctly and enjoy the car.

Agree with above. Only one engine is number matching. If it isn't that one engine, It doesn't matter what's there now, G,H, F or LGBT.

If you do decide to go the #'s or date correct route send me a PM with the VIN stamp off the pan rail and more importantly the casting date on the block.

It only matters when you are buying or selling, or if you park it in a grass field to have someone deduct “points” for it. The thing I find amusing about “matching numbers”… or is it “numbers matching”… is a car with 100% original USA back in the day sheet metal, but has a Chrysler built block with different stamps that no one will ever climb under the car to check, unless you are selling…is deemed less valuable than a restored, but 75% Asian sheet metal from 2017 car that has a number block.

I know which one I’d value higher.

I’ll pile on and say go beat the hell out of the motor you have and just rebuilt. Think about it - it makes zero difference since you dont have the original anyway. Some get hung up on matching numbers but plenty just care about the car as a whole. Ride em cowboy…..

Last edited:
Body numbers all match and it still all original sheet medal with some body repairs. We upgraded the Transmission to a Tremic 5 speed

1,500 miles per quart isn't so bad. It means the engine is loose enough run hard. You have the freedom of not caring if you someday throw a rod.

1,500 miles per quart isn't so bad. It means the engine is loose enough run hard. You have the freedom of not caring if you someday throw a rod.
You have a point there. That is about 2 quarts per year...

You either A) have the original numbers matching engine, or B) you don't. Since it's "B", the only thing that matters is what's easier & cost-effective.

I agree and half that could be valve seals, who knows.
Maybe just correct the obvious problems, depends what you want to spend and how you'd like it in the end.

I say run with what you already have. No need to find another block because it won't be #'s matching either.
I assume you did check the numbers on what you have? A block dated from 1970 could very well have been originally installed in a 71 car.

Last edited:
I brought this up before, but maybe some aren’t aware. The first time I heard matching numbers mentioned was around 1979. It was an article about a guy in the Midwest that had a junkyard full of Corvettes. All the way back to 1953. But he had a lot of mid-year cars, 1963-1967. I saw a reproduction skinny “Gold Line” bias ply tire for restoration. At the time, custom Vettes were all the rage, but guys were starting to restore mid-year Vettes. The ‘65 327/375 Fuel Injected version was one of the ones being brought back to OG. I don’t know how the numbers on the block thing infected the Mopar community, because it said right in the VIN 5th digit what engine the car came with. In ‘79, the Mopar muscle cars were still being driven by high school teenagers. It was more than common to build another 383 or 440 to drop in on the weekend to replace the tired one. These were daily drivers. And quite frankly, the cars that all the folklore is about. Fast forward to 2015… and I find out that no Corvette, or any GM muscle car had the engine designation in the VIN during the muscle car era.It was a lightbulb moment. Your ‘67 L71 427 Corvette had to have matching sequence numbers to prove the 427 even came in the car, as opposed to a 327. Same thing with an LS6 454 Chevelle, a 455 Stage 1 GS, or a 400 Ram Air IV GTO. That changed in 1972 for GM, and the engine was in the VIN, but by then the muscle car era was over.

Last edited:
I drove the GTX 5000 miles this year, lots of people told me that I was crazy to daily drive such a beautiful car but you only live once and life is too short.I am glad I tore it down, now I know what exactly I have. Screw the match numbers thing(thanks guys) and plan on freshening this engine up.The heads(915) are going to the machine shop and installing larger valves( already ported and polished)

So my question is this, do I rebuilt this engine(F440) or find one that is a G440(1971 build) dated before my cars assembly date.
As stated above by others, a fresh G440 won't make your car any more correct than it is now.

And you'll be out of pocket for another engine rebuild.

It's a 70 engine.. he sent me the casting date and VIN. January 70 too late to be a Bird block for me.. lol.
Did the VIN match the chassis? With a car like that, I would make differing decisions depending on what it was. If it was numbers matching, I would still thrash it on occasion, just less harshly.

Did the VIN match the chassis? With a car like that, I would make differing decisions depending on what it was. If it was numbers matching, I would still thrash it on occasion, just less harshly.
As the OP stated in the first post it is not the #'s engine for his car. I on the other hand am always looking for an 11/69 casting date for my '70.

Auto Transport Service
Back