How low can I go

1971 - 1974 Mopars

1. Chad73

Chad73 Member

Local Time:
    11:29 PM
    So, the charger is finally coming home with me. I've got a lot of respect for the guys keeping it true to original and respect for the drag racing community. It's just not me. I want to have more of an autocross look to the old '73. I would like to see the rear wheels up in the wheel wells and for it to have, more of a flat look. I'm not trying to go crazy because I don't want the car to be so uncomfortable that it is no fun to drive but, I would like for it to sit low. My question is 'How low can I go without changing to a 4 link in the rear or bagging it? I don't have the money for that just yet and honestly I really want to drive it soon. Would you use lowering blocks? Do I need to tub or mini tub the rear end to get a 17" or so wheel/tire combo sitting up in the wheel wells? Will it be necessary to get drop spindles for the front or will I be able to adjust the torsion bars enough to get the look I am hoping for? Any help from the highly Mopar educated people here would be most appreciated. I am not a photoshop pro and this is definately someone else's car but, this is kinda the look I am going for. ExteriorPassengerRevised.jpg

2. dangina

dangina Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:29 PM
    you can get the rear drop hangers, lowers the leafs about a 1" I also used sliders instead of hangers and it lowered the car another 1", my rear leafs have I believe a 5" arch to them, I would love to get flatter arch, I'm currently running hypercoil fiberglass leafs, I hear flexform will custom make your leaf spring rate and arch for you....I run drop spindles on the front to lower them down only because I'm running bigger torsion bars, I build my car for autox, you can check out my build thread...

3. mmissile

mmissile Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Low looks good. Too-low, looks goofy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Darter6

Darter6 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      10:29 PM
      When we did this car years ago we ran 275/35/18 front and 295/30/18 rear (Viper spec) Hemi torsion bars and custom Eaton Detroit rear springs, mini tub Mopar spring relocation kit.Homemade subframe connectors.Also Hotchkis front and rear sway bars.Now you can get everything from Hotchkis.

72plymouth GTX-R 34 front.JPG

• Like Like x 3
      • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • Chad73

Chad73 Member

Local Time:
        That looks bad ass!!! Thanks for the advise.

• tommyg29

tommyg29 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Not sure about the 73, since the suspension setup is different, but the 71-72 can be adjusted to sit pretty low with minimal changes to the oem setup. Bump stops may need shaving though.

• Darter6

Local Time:
        When going that low the lower bump stop can be cut ^^^^ as said above.I usually remove the "peak" and make it flat. OR use drop spindles as in post #4.

• tommyg29

tommyg29 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        flatter leafs and/or hangers plus drop spindles for the win. My 72 sits about as low as it can reasonably get without those mods though. I like a little rake with mine. I think it keeps a hint of the old school.

Road Runner avatar.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2017
        • Like Like x 3
        • phatdak18

phatdak18 Member

Local Time:
          Im sitting on 4" drop spindles up front and a custom 4-link out back. Forgeline 19x9 fronts and 20x12 rears. I wouldnt mind going lower, but bags would almost surely be required. The Milodon pan is just 3" from the concrete currently haha. sorry guys i know its not a very good pic

IMG_4601.jpg

• Darter6

Local Time:
          Good enough for me !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.