• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much break in oil do I need for a 440?

Trench

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
I hope to be starting up this engine soon so was wondering how much break in oil will I need. The motor is from a 73 Roadrunner and has the factory oil pan. I am looking at the Lucas oil and it comes ina 5 quart jug, is that enough or should I get 2? The manual says 4 + 1 for the filter but no harm in double checking.

Stock oil pan and pump? If so, the 5 qt jug should be fine.

Yup 5 quarts with filter with stock 971 pan in 73.

I used SAE 30 Lucas on the 440 I broke in earlier this year, no problems. Most break in oils are straight 30 weight. I just woudn't do it on a day that's 0 degrees out. LOL

I used SAE 30 Lucas on the 440 I broke in earlier this year, no problems. Most break in oils are straight 30 weight. I just woudn't do it on a day that's 0 degrees out. LOL
LOL, thanks. I hope it's done before it gets that cold again!

Flat tappet, hydraulic lifters.
Make sure you get some break-in oil with a lot of Zinc (ZDDP) You can use conventional oil and a bottle of special break in lube (as instructed). Because it is a hydraulic flat tappet cam you need to use a high zinc oil all the time. I always try to use a 1200-1500 ppm after the break in is done.

Last edited:
this is why we buy a break in oil anyway, so you don’t have to mix and match stuff that may not mix well together.

When you mix conventional oil and a bottle of you favorite ZDDP, the high detergent in the oil fights the additives and it cannot do what it tells you it will do.

buy the right oil to begin with.

you wanna try and be a chemist with a new engine? Not me. I’ll trust the oil manyfacturer.

85643F78-8AC3-4A23-9931-873D03172B0D.jpeg

8BD89FA9-EC64-484B-905D-92FDD79CF049.png

Just as an example, Com Cams recommends their break in oil but posted this as well.

"If you have a preferred oil with which you feel comfortable, we strongly recommend the use of COMP Cams® Break-In Oil Additive (COMP Cams® Part #159) during break-in. While this additive was originally developed specifically for break-in protection, subsequent testing has proven the durability benefits of its long term use. This proprietary blend of anti-wear ZDDP fortification, anti-fiction Molybdenum, and extreme pressure additives promotes proper break-in and protects against premature cam and lifter failure by replacing some of the beneficial ingredients that the oil companies have been forced to remove from off-the shelf oil. These specialized COMP Cams® lubricants are the best “insurance policy” you can buy, and are the first step to avoiding durability problems with your new flat tappet camshaft. "

Just as an example, Com Cams recommends their break in oil but posted this as well.

"If you have a preferred oil with which you feel comfortable, we strongly recommend the use of COMP Cams® Break-In Oil Additive (COMP Cams® Part #159) during break-in. While this additive was originally developed specifically for break-in protection, subsequent testing has proven the durability benefits of its long term use. This proprietary blend of anti-wear ZDDP fortification, anti-fiction Molybdenum, and extreme pressure additives promotes proper break-in and protects against premature cam and lifter failure by replacing some of the beneficial ingredients that the oil companies have been forced to remove from off-the shelf oil. These specialized COMP Cams® lubricants are the best “insurance policy” you can buy, and are the first step to avoiding durability problems with your new flat tappet camshaft. "
This is good to know as the oil is much cheaper by the case. Thanks!

I would use the break in oil from Penn Grade. With a stock pan and normal filter, 5 qts is fine.

Last edited:
Just don't use high zinc oils in vehicles that are equipped with a cat converter....the zinc will poison the converter over time.

Trench, the Lucas oil products seem to be real good too. If you have a motor that requires high zinc, solid lifter, as Cranky said, the cat will get hurt over time. No cat, no problem. For break in would not be a problem in my opinion.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback, I have decided to go with the Comp Cams oil as it looks like a good oil and I found it at a very good price.
Wish me luck!

A few other option for high zinc oil would be the valvoline VR1 or Shell Rotella.
The break in additives would blend fine with those oils and you can continue with the use of either oil long term.
Unfortunately Rotella is having a Covid break right now but VR1 should be available.

J Gibbs Driven BR30 Break In oil (regardless of it's Zinc & Zddp content ) has probably the Lowest Functional Anti-Friction wear protection package of Any commonly available motor oil & Least camshaft--Flat Tappet friction wear protection.....It's Lowest wear protection rating Will likely permit any new parts fit dimensional irregularities be most agressively self-clearanced wear mated in of all available motor oils & Least protective of Camshaft--Flat Lifter wear....If that's what you're looking for on first start up,... that's the oil (best friction in a can) product to use...

Auto Transport Service
Back