• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much does a color change hurt value

Keep the red interior!!! My 2 cents. If it were mine I would keep it all original and red is not one of my favorite colors but I'm more of a purist. Silver or black with the red interior would be amazing especially if it were original to the car.

Driven-- I feel for you. I've been struggling with the same issue- original color vs changing. I think it comes down to 2 things- it's your car and if you are going to get more pleasure and satisfaction from a different color- go ahead and change it. If you are planning on selling it as a collector or show car in the forseeable future, original is the way to go.

I agree with Mattsmopars, That GTX is a prime model, not a clone or 318 plain jane. They are appreciating in value every year. It's your car, but if you ever sell it people will not pay top-dollar for a non original color. A good complete paint job costs around 10K with the cost of materials going up every month, and you'll never be able to paint every little nook and cranny unless you do it yourself. It's a beautiful car! Good luck with it!

My super bee was painted green twice, Red once, and Orange twice. The amount of paint chemically stripped off the trunk alone almost filled a 5 gal bucket. The point is like stated above, unless you are willing on doing the work yourself and can totally disassemble the car. A color change is a major undertaking. Unless done absolutely perfect it won't be all you hoped for. Thankfully my brother has a full service auto body shop where it's possible to do the amount of work required and take as long as necessary to do it right.
Still, it's turned out to be a real challenge at times.
Good luck!!

The paint really does look alot nicer in the pic than it does in person. Not that this thread was about the question of ever repainting but about the color change. No matter what color I painted it my plan was to disassemble and reassemble it myslef. Lots of good points made. Figure I would add a couple of pics of the interior.

Attachments

• gtx7.jpg
    gtx7.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 140
  • gtx10.jpg
    gtx10.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 191
  • gtx9.jpg
    gtx9.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 145
Another thought for you and would be far less costly and easy to reverse would be to simply change the seat covers and leave the rest of the interior as is. The factory had combo interior colors on these old cars like I refer to.

A white/red interior would be very striking in my opinion. You could also do black/red

I dont like the white/red combo- to fruitloopy candy a$$reminds me of a barbers pole...
But the black will pop
Yeah u could start slowly with the seat covers...but then your going to do the carpet and then the doors and the steering wheel especially... by the end id change it all if it were mine and I wasnt happy...the red bugs me too

Last edited:
If you plan on keeping it till you are gone then it doesnt really matter does it?

You said it all. I will have my car till I die. You have to make yourself happy. Let my wife's new boyfriend worry about it while I am in heaven.

Well driven as I said before int is easier with red respray but just enjoy it we only go round once its a nice car as Matt stated the red int is nice but again its yours just enjoy it the wifes new boyfriend can do what he wants after death that's the best way to see it

So for this year I am going to drive it and enjoy it as is. If I keep it I will paint it at some point and will likely keep it Red. I usually don't buy cars thinking about there resale value. But in this case with it having it's original drivetrain and body panels probably best to keep it original. Thinking back to when I was looking for a GTX I bought this one because of how original it was even though I did not love the Red on Red. I looked at a highly optioned Silver on Black car but it was not as original. I was also considering painting the 66 Belv I have Black or SIlver if I keep it and put it on the road.

If you have a 69 Camaro and you change it to RED it's automaticaly worth $20K to $30K more! :angry9:

Auto Transport Service
Back