• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much HP Can You Get Out a 318

Maybe we could talk Jim into whoopin up a 318 with some cast iron heads. I bet he'd get the magazines attention real quick.

I'd love to see a 318 build with off the shelf parts and a low low budget to see what the maximum potential for say $1500 is? Then you would probably convince a few to hold on to them but for some reason there are way to many people that think the car is trash without a big block?

its not size that matters, its how you use it....:icon_thumright:

Nah! You're missing the point here. We all know that we can do the stroker thing, and put silly money into building a balls out small block.
Here we're trying to do a 318 on the cheap.

I already have that build sittin on my shop floor.

I'd love to see a 318 build with off the shelf parts and a low low budget to see what the maximum potential for say $1500 is? Then you would probably convince a few to hold on to them but for some reason there are way to many people that think the car is trash without a big block?

its not size that matters, its how you use it....:icon_thumright:

...and after I masage a couple 318s "the old fashioned way", (and after my new 451 project)I now have a "further down the list" 318-392 project.

I'm gonna need a couple extra decades to get all that done!

Nah! You're missing the point here. We all know that we can do the stroker thing, and put silly money into building a balls out small block.
Here we're trying to do a 318 on the cheap.

Engine Performance 101, doesn't matter what engine it is, the formula is the same, just to different extremes... quality machine work & multi-angle performance valve job, mild port clean-up & gasket matching the intake & heads, Aluminum 4bbl Intake & good Holley carb, better fuel pump, bigger fuel lines & fuel tank pick-up/sending unit, bigger/better camshaft, longer adjustable rocker ratios like 1.6:1, better appr. size/style/length push-rods & better lifters, appr./better valve springs, retainers, seals & locks, X-treem K&N filter & free flowing headers &/or mandrel exhaust system, hotter ignition system, hotter coil & ultra low OHM resistance plug wires, upgraded cooling system...

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe we could talk Jim into whoopin up a 318 with some cast iron heads. I bet he'd get the magazines attention real quick.

I'd bet IQ52/Jim & Cody LaRoy could do a great 318 cylinder head combo...

- - - Updated - - -

The RHS LAX heads would be a great choice too

The thing with smaller cube engines is, you have to be more careful with camshaft selection. I think from around 320 cubes on down, they are less forgiving to a camshaft that is too big. Slant six engines are very similar, but even moreso. While larger kyoob V8 engines can stand a big cam "mistake" much better than smaller engines, with the smaller engines, you have to be much more precise with camshaft selection. The process is still the same. The cam needs to match the heads, intake, carb and exhaust, but there's just much less room for error.

and the dyno says?

I dont know. I guess I could throw it in the desktop dyno and see, but I know it's over 300 HP......probably by a good little margin. It's blueprinted.....NOT guessed at 9.2:1 with magnum heads, this cam- http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1545&gid=287 , Edelbrock Air Gap and I had planned on running a Thermoquad. I think I'm probably a little conservative on the power number numbers. I'd rather be surprised in a good way.

I dont know. I guess I could throw it in the desktop dyno and see, but I know it's over 300 HP......probably by a good little margin. It's blueprinted.....NOT guessed at 9.2:1 with magnum heads, this cam- http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1545&gid=287 , Edelbrock Air Gap and I had planned on running a Thermoquad. I think I'm probably a little conservative on the power number numbers. I'd rather be surprised in a good way.

I am sure its a runner. I am just curious to know the actual number for future reference. If you ever do dyno the thing send me a pm just because I am curious.

If Jesus don't come first in some spectacular way, we plan on going there. Remember we put Cody's 318 heads, a 7510 Weiand intake and a Comp 270S in a 100,000 mile 8:1 318 bottom end and made 320 HP. With the 292ci/273 and our 360X heads we made 462 HP. Yeah, we're going to do a 318.

....and I trust Cody will hawgzilla the heads out for all they're worth. lol Everybody keeps talkin about a budget build, but we all know about what a stock stroke, non ported headed 318 will make. What I would love to see is either some slam hawged out Edelbrocks or iron heads on a stock stroke 318. Just keep it N/A. I think it would shut some of the "340 360" people up. I mean sure, the same mods to those bigger engines would still have them on top, but the number the teen wil put out will impress nonetheless.

I believe a stock stroke 318, with ported factory iron 318 heads, should be able to make 550 HP. Six years ago we had the 675 casting 318 heads flowing 277 cfm @ .650". We've made great strides in our port developement since then and have not done anymore work on high flowing 318 heads. It looks like we will be firing up our dyno in a few weeks for the very first time, so some real testing may be able to be done shortly. However there are no 318s in the works for now. But as Cody and I talk, he begins to bring the subject around to the 318 with a gleam in his eye. The '71 Scamp sits out there with a 318 in it that already sounds like a big block, with just mild, intake, cam and cylinder head mods.

I believe a stock stroke 318, with ported factory iron 318 heads, should be able to make 550 HP.

Alright ya haters. Yall see this? Right from the lips of a professional engine builder. Eat your hearts out.

1.72 HP per CI....no too many engine designs can boast something up in that range even with enhancments

No replacement. For displacement.

Here we go again...

How about a Hemi head?

If there's no replacement...how do you explain a 426 Hemi nearly always besting 454, 455, and 460 CID motors??

Auto Transport Service
Back