• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much HP Can You Get Out a 318

That's right. They also had something else a lot of people don't know OR overlook. The 318s up till about 69 or 70 all had the smaller, LIGHTER 273 rods. Those are the same rods that Mopar Performance made all through the 1970s and have now been long discontinued that everybody wants. They are much lighter than the standard 318, 340, 360 rod and properly prepped, they are just as strong. I'll put it like this.............. Anybody that says any of the old school Mopar engines ain't any good has more ghey in them than I wanna be around.

Yup...shoulda kept that 273 damnit....

Still a 318 block.Still getting that power out of it.It's the same as anyone that's running a stroker motor but having the factory engine callouts on it,claiming to have something they don't.If that's the case then a .030 over block isn't the cu in it was when it left the factory and shouldn't be talked about because that would make it a 323.I think the original question was how much hp can you get out of a 318?

I think your a bit overboard and splitting a hair without good reason. It is beyond ridiculous to make the above statement. Do yourself a favor and refrain from such poor statements and comprarisons. You make yourself look very petty and stupid.

The topic is correct in your post. A 318. Going .030 to clean up a bore is not the place to split hairs on but adding a 4 in h stroke crank is a whole nother story all together. Stroking an engine is a huge added cost to a simple build looking to add power.

Boring an engine out is not where power is found. There's very little power to be found on a overbore.
The change in displacement is very little compared to adding a whole lotta stroke. Power wise or wallet wise.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya know, If I built that junker 318 from hot rod magazine and was putting out 400+ horsepower & torque for 1500 bucks, I'd be willing to bet that I would be smiling everytime I hit the gas pedal as well.

No one is saying that a 340 SB or a BB would not be better. That isn't the point.

The question is simple; What can I do with a 318! Not a 340, not a 360, not a Big Block, not a hemi, not a chevy, not a roll of Charmin toilet paper!!!!

"WHAT CAN I DO WITH A 318"????WHY IS THAT QUESTION SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?????
Mostly because most of the people replying are ******** who can read or simply understand your position or wants. They think they know what there talking about but they don't. There just self pontificating morons of there own horn on how your not right in the head on wanting to do what you want to do.

They would rather let there mouth run amok and suggest something off base and wild as if that I'll given thought they have is actually worth a wooden nickel. Rather than being helpful (which some how they think they are) they just shout out an answer like excited children in a 2nd grade class room.

Shame on each and everyone for NOT helping the poster with his problem and sticking to the question asked.

Where you been, rumble?

How come EVERY SINGLE 318 build thread ALWAYS has 60% of the posts arguing about using a 360?

I love the "just use a 340" crowd.

When's the last time you saw a 340 for sale? How much was it? What was included? What condition was it in?

318 is a really a nice size displacement. Probably one of the reasons it was so extremely successful, despite limited HP applications.

I believe rusty compared it to a 305 chevy, but if we're going to do that, I'd suggest it's more comprable to a 307/327.
In fact, isn't is almost exactly between the two?

Spending time at FABO mostly. Working my arse off to need retirement. Burning the candle T both ends with a blow tourch. If I only had a choice!

I agree with what you say above 100%, even though a better choice is a 360 or going big block, BUT! Since that is not the question.............

I forget the 327's stroke, but I do find it comparable to a 318. It just has a bigger bore. It's a great HP combo. A 340 is a bigger version of the 327 in a sense. Short stroke and a bigger bore.

The 318 bored to what would make a 327? Or close to it? .060?

I also find it interesting that a favorable and relatively easy to obtain stroker ratio on a 318 gets you 392, a number that keeps cropping up in Mopar performance engines.

I also find it interesting that a favorable and relatively easy to obtain stroker ratio on a 318 gets you 392, a number that keeps cropping up in Mopar performance engines.

......and has for quite some time.

Attachments

• HEMI.jpg
    HEMI.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 389
Like the original poster asked,"What can I do with a 318?".I answered.If you don't like a bunch of stroke in it then that's fine.But that is one thing you can do with it.Same guy ran a 360 crank in a 318 before going with a 4".Same difference right?I may be wrong,but I don't believe he ever asked "What can I do with a 318 and the stock crank?".You can do anything to that block you can do to a 340 or 360.Just depends on personal preference and how far you want to go.

- - - Updated - - -

And by the way CoronetRTguy,check out yellowbullet.com.Every now and then you'll find some turbo setups for mopars in the classified section.I'm looking at getting some big block headers from a guy on there right now.

I don't think anybody has debated your point. The majority here took it to mean just that. A 318. A 318 with a longer stroke isn't a 318. We all know they can be stroked. That's never been argued. Either you're so obtuse you cannot see that, or you just like having the last word....or possibly both.

He is an *** that is splitting hairs. The original posters question was simple and point blank.
I'm sure hell be back for the last word, which will mean less than something little.

Well, I think that we were right, and we were wrong. Going by the OP's original post;

So in my quest to get back into the MOPAR world with a car I have this 1973 Roadrunner that keeps haunting me (really it is) to go and look at it and maybe buy.

The car has a 318 in it and I know another member pointed me in the direction of a 318 build from I think Mopar muscle. This member is also doing a build up of a 318 and is looking at a little more HP then Mopar muscle got.

My question is how much HP can a 318 be built to put out?

Also how do I go about building a streetable car and getting a good chunk of HP out of the 318?

I'm sure this motor and trans will need to be rebuilt and with going into it with that in mind I can kind of lay out a game plan. Either way if I do pick this car up or go with my 75 Dodge truck build I'm going to build a 318 or 360.

Do they make turbos for the 318?

I keep thinking of leaving the body stock but I also have the pro-touring bug."

318, maybe 360, maybe turbos. It seems that in this case the right answer isn't an answer at all, but a question.

What do you want to do? It looks as if you are open to quite a few possibilities.

Well, I think that we were right, and we were wrong. Going by the OP's original post;

So in my quest to get back into the MOPAR world with a car I have this 1973 Roadrunner that keeps haunting me (really it is) to go and look at it and maybe buy.

The car has a 318 in it and I know another member pointed me in the direction of a 318 build from I think Mopar muscle. This member is also doing a build up of a 318 and is looking at a little more HP then Mopar muscle got.

My question is how much HP can a 318 be built to put out?

Also how do I go about building a streetable car and getting a good chunk of HP out of the 318?

I'm sure this motor and trans will need to be rebuilt and with going into it with that in mind I can kind of lay out a game plan. Either way if I do pick this car up or go with my 75 Dodge truck build I'm going to build a 318 or 360.

Do they make turbos for the 318?

I keep thinking of leaving the body stock but I also have the pro-touring bug."

318, maybe 360, maybe turbos. It seems that in this case the right answer isn't an answer at all, but a question.

What do you want to do? It looks as if you are open to quite a few possibilities.

I would say a built 318 is a good way to go. You can add FI by using fast fi products or look for the 6pak or 6bbl fi set up. You can also do pro touring using factory parts by using Firm Feel Inc lots of greats parts to help with handling.
http://www.firmfeel.com/B3%20xmember%20mts.htm
I am going that route for my handling and I also plan to save for the 6 pak fi set up cheaper than going with a new hemi. I have a basic stock 360 except for the cam and heads have been reworked. I need to write down what is in the engine so I don't forget.

If you have the pro touring bug you can go here they do a lot between fabbing up their own parts to buying them and they are all Mopar.http://www.protouringmopar.com/forum.php

I don't discount anything in this thread. It's all good ideas. But we already have boocoos of threads talkin about borin strokin and everything in between. Not a whole lot on JUST a 318 stock stroke. They are essentially a small bore 340. With the same heads and compression as a 340, a 318 can school hell out of someone with a 340 if they aint too careful. I have this little Frankenteen Magnum headed LA 318 in the shop floor built fresh and I can promise you it will be every bit of 300 HP. Probably more. Go find some of those fancy online calculators and see what they say 300 HP will do in a 3300 pound car with 4.10 gears. I garrantee you'll be in a handfull of the fastest street cars in your county. I mean true street car. You can actually drive everyday and have fun with. Most people on here talkin stroke this or 700 HP that would **** themselves if they ever rode in a true 12 second street car. They are by NO means slow.

I don't discount anything in this thread. It's all good ideas. But we already have boocoos of threads talkin about borin strokin and everything in between. Not a whole lot on JUST a 318 stock stroke. They are essentially a small bore 340. With the same heads and compression as a 340, a 318 can school hell out of someone with a 340 if they aint too careful. I have this little Frankenteen Magnum headed LA 318 in the shop floor built fresh and I can promise you it will be every bit of 300 HP. Probably more. Go find some of those fancy online calculators and see what they say 300 HP will do in a 3300 pound car with 4.10 gears. I garrantee you'll be in a handfull of the fastest street cars in your county. I mean true street car. You can actually drive everyday and have fun with. Most people on here talkin stroke this or 700 HP that would **** themselves if they ever rode in a true 12 second street car. They are by NO means slow.

Rob I agree but I am not stroking my 360 it's almost done. Now my 318 in my Doba that everyone hates it will be rebuilt but with good parts and heads. No stroker engine. Now to find some 273 rods on the cheap.

Are you talkin about the 273 rods for your 360? That would be a snappy choice.....but you will probably have the expense of balancing if you were not going to do it anyway. Just food for thought.

Are you talkin about the 273 rods for your 360? That would be a snappy choice.....but you will probably have the expense of balancing if you were not going to do it anyway. Just food for thought.

No for my 318. But if I need to rebuild it sounds like it might be a good choice. Here is a picture of my 360 refresh not rebuild.

100_4080-500.jpg

Where you been, rumble?

I love the "just use a 340" crowd.

When's the last time you saw a 340 for sale? How much was it? What was included? What condition was it in?
I have one that's bored, honed to 4.100", decked with new cam bearings, painted and ready to wash and assemble go and I couldn't get $500 for it.

Auto Transport Service
Back