• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much HP Can You Get Out a 318

I have one that's bored, honed to 4.100", decked with new cam bearings, painted and ready to wash and assemble go and I couldn't get $500 for it.

Really? If I had it I would get it.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean? As far as what?

Cam, I know we used speed pro rings, The heads have been worked. I should have all this wrote down.

Bench engine builders

RustyRatRod
Most people on here talkin stroke this or 700 HP that would **** themselves if they ever rode in a true 12 second street car. They are by NO means slow.

TRUER WORDS have never been spoken!!!!!

How come we can NEVER get a good 318 build thread going without 30-60% of the posts being bore, stroke, turbo, 360, 340, 440, EFI, and other $5000 and 500 man hour builds that usually DON'T involve a 318 as we all understand it to be?

RE: the $500 340- that same setup on a 318 probably wouldn't bring $150, even with receipts of $500 or more.

$500 around here will get you a running, driving 318 and trans, and usually the rest of the parts car including radiator, carb, the axle and disk brakes if so equipped.

My last running, driving $650 318 came with a trans, a 73 Charger, most of a 74 Charger, two sets of disk brakes, ceramic headers, a performer intake and 600 CFM carb....and a cassette recorder pod, not to mention some new, in the box repro stuff and buckets with tracks!

The one before that was a $450 87 roller cam, and trans, and came with a road driving 5th Ave, with perfect disk brakes.

Exactly. 318s are a SMART buy because people essentially throw them away. Look at all the other stuff you were able to get with that money. If a 340 or big block were in the mix, would you have been so lucky? That 318 kinda dumbed it down. lol

And as far as the 318 only build thread, people are gonna voice their opinions come hell or high water. I personally believe a lot of their talk comes from inexperience. People who have actually SEEN what a stock stroke 318 can really do never argue the point. We all know the old adage "there's no substitute for cubic inches" and it's true. However, there is also no substitute for making smart parts choices, having good machine work done and a good assembly with some tuning tricks thrown in.

People are so busy reading all the latest and greatest publications pushing all the latest and greatest parts and hawking all the latest new mods, when old school hot rodding has been around since the dawn of the Model T and before. It's proven. It works. Too many people spout what they hear and read, rather than what they KNOW.

Exactly. 318s are a SMART buy because people essentially throw them away. Look at all the other stuff you were able to get with that money. If a 340 or big block were in the mix, would you have been so lucky? That 318 kinda dumbed it down. lol

And as far as the 318 only build thread, people are gonna voice their opinions come hell or high water. I personally believe a lot of their talk comes from inexperience. People who have actually SEEN what a stock stroke 318 can really do never argue the point. We all know the old adage "there's no substitute for cubic inches" and it's true. However, there is also no substitute for making smart parts choices, having good machine work done and a good assembly with some tuning tricks thrown in.

People are so busy reading all the latest and greatest publications pushing all the latest and greatest parts and hawking all the latest new mods, when old school hot rodding has been around since the dawn of the Model T and before. It's proven. It works. Too many people spout what they hear and read, rather than what they KNOW.

Well said...

I thought sure I'd already disproven "no substitute for cubic inches" at least three ways.

1- There will never be a true scientific method, as different designs rarely lend themselves to a direct displacement comparison.

2- Efficiency of design. If that old addage were true, why the hell do Mopars typically have smaller displacements, but also typically win? This also applies to the 5.0 liter ford.

3- 426 HEMI- who's gonna argue a 454 or 460, despite MUCH more displacement, is ALWAYS better (this is actually a reitertion of #2).

Well.....when I said no substitute for cubic inches, what I meant was with all other things equal. Which of course they are not. But in the general sense it's true.

....and I cannot agree with your Ford comparison any stronger. The Ford 5.0 aint even a 5.0. It dont even round up. It's a 4.9. It dont even round up to 302 cubic inches. It's a 301. Look also at the success of the 4.6. Ford has always done a lot with small displacement.

Look at the chebbie 305.......oh wait. It's just a big POS.

I thought sure I'd already disproven "no substitute for cubic inches" win?

How do you explain a 318 properly built (I mean with the right parts and machine work) is going to be low on HP?

...and somehow the word "win" got added to the quote.

I think that was either a Freudian slip, or divine intervention!

I have only these things to say, spend your money on 1st Cylinder heads, 2nd Cylinder heads, 3rd Cylinder Heads.... the best single improvements in HP/TQ will be in these areas, bare none, whether it force inducted or not... small combustion chambers, full professional porting, multi angle valve job, adjustable rockers, Lighter/larger valves, proper valve springs for the camshaft chosen, Lighter retainers & quality locks, then put a good camshaft designed for your intended usage, then free flowing 4bbl or EFI intake & headers or a free flowing exhaust systems or a Huffer/Blower or Turbo if you want more power with little Cubic Inches.... easy peasy, there's nothen wrong with a lowly little bastard red headed step child LA 318ci, or the better flowing 5.2ltr Magnum {well except maybe the extremely small bore size, can hamper, really good cylinder head flow properties}.... then lets talk about how to get the power to the ground !! the engine is only a small part of the equation....

Maybe we could talk Jim into whoopin up a 318 with some cast iron heads. I bet he'd get the magazines attention real quick.

Auto Transport Service
Back