• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much Paint?

OIP.HCKZrqiCyiym_v_G2nW5-gHaEK?w=322&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.jpg

What color white Bob?

Ok on the extra for repairs, I can see that.

There are some on this forum that are way more qualified to answer your questions than I am but what I can give you is my experience on my 68 RR I just finished painting WW1.

At first I was adamant about using SS paint but after much consideration and talking to guys that paint for a living I chose BC/CC. It just seemed to make more sense to me. I ordered 6 quarts of Automotive Art Motobase which mixes 1:1 which gives a total of 3 gallons. I painted everything including the underneath of the car, trunk, jams, engine bay ect. I still have a quart left, I did use white sealer which probably helped a little with coverage but it made it tough to see what was painted and what wasn't. CC was SPI Universal clear and I used a bunch...2 gallons at 1:1 mix total 4 gallons. Sprayed 4 coats then block sanded the urethane wave out and then a couple of days later sprayed 4 more coats and color sanded and hit it with the 3M 3 level polishing system.

Non-metallic white ? Single stage urethane. Period. I used chroma-one when I was using single stage.

Just curious, are any of the mixed paints from Eastwood or Summit a match for WW1? They have a few flavors of white and I am wondering which one would be closest and how close it would be?

Get the formula. A decent body shop or paint store should be able to look it up. They can also use a camera to match the color.

Single stage on ole Mabel. If it were a modern complex color, I would use B/C. These old colors are always a color match. Old color cards, changes in raw materials, pigments, VOC compliance........this isn't like telling them a year of Chrysler PB8 or GM8585 and they'll produce the correct color with the possibility of Alternates per plant, via VIN.

Painting is always time behind the gun and to me there is little difference between Single Stage and Base/Clear beyond trips around the car and material used.
I promise, a good painter can fool even the most particular critics. Excessive mil build does not equate to better. Most common mistake made is edge build up, IMO.

Hat tip to Eldubb, the painters eye comment. I totally get it. A majority would never see it. However, it would drive me nuts knowing another painter would pick it up at a glance. Therefore, I'd never do it.

Take a look at TCP Global if you don't have to have an exact match. I painted my Challenger (EV2 Hemi orange) and my Cuda (TCP Lime green) in SS. I plan to paint my 71 Charger (if I paint it) in BC/CC. That said, I got 2 gallons of SS for my Challenger and 3 for my Cuda (lime green is a PIA to cover).

The car came from Las Vegas after about 35 years in California so the car is pretty much rust free although while it has no rust through it does have some minor surface rust. It also has a few small places where ot looks like touch ups were done. There are also places where the original paint has flaked off, a few places inside the motor compartment and door sills. Faded areas on the hood and roof due to the sun. Lots of door dings from parking lots and several dents and scratches BUT with that said, one of the most beautiful cars I have ever owned and a lifetime dream come true. It will never be a Hemi car or a Max Wedge car but I would like to have it as nice as possible. If you have followed along with Mabel’s transformation then you know everything that’s been done to her.

So I have no business commenting on painting tips. I don't do it (yet).

However, I will say that matching old paint seems to be extremely hard. I had some single stage Lemon Twist Yellow made up for my 73 Road Runner. I painted a piece of metal with a small amount of old, leftover paint. When dry, I matched it to the car and it was an excellent match (as it should have been, even though it was quite old). I then had a guy with a special camera match the paint using that piece of metal. The new stuff I got was too light and didn't match.

And that's not the only mismatch that has happened. Any time (with one exception) I have had a car touched up you could see the mismatch. The only time this didn't happen was when @eldubb440 repainted parts of my Limelight 70 Road Runner. He did a fantastic job.

Bottom line is if it were me, I would get extra paint for touchups. Matching paint seems to be hit and miss, and more miss...

Auto Transport Service
Back