• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much Would Your Car Cost Today?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
10:57 PM
Reaction score
I found the price my 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T sold for in 1969 was $3660. I used the inflation calculator linked below to see what it would cost in today's money.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Capture.PNG

Where can a person look up the base price and option prices for these cars? I would like to know what one of mine cost new (ball park estimate).

I think that the inflation & market for these cars
I'd bet the, R/T, RR, Super Bee or Gen 2 Charger like the 68-70 models
would be a lot more like $44k-$50k today, not $24k
But that's just my guess...
Cars especially performance oriented cars like that
bring decent money, $50k easily for the right optioned car
especially if they had the lines of the old b-bodies

I think that the inflation & market for these cars
I'd bet the, R/T, RR, Super Bee or Gen 2 Charger like the 68-70 models
would be a lot more like $44k-$50k today, not $24k
But that's just my guess...
Cars especially performance oriented cars like that
bring decent money, $50k easily for the right optioned car
especially if they had the lines of the old b-bodies
We can only hope they realize some day how much profit would be in reproducing a B body. But then sales in current 4 door chargers would fall if they made only 2 door B bodies.

I went to the hamtramk registry and got all the 70 model year paperwork for my 70. Found it to cost 3400 in 70, and 24000 today.

Whenever I hear the word "inflation" it's usually in a conversation about stuff costing more. When something cost more this gives the sense that one has to work harder and or longer to be able to buy stuff. -- Not always the case.

I feel sticker shock like everyone else every day. Money loses value faster than we can adapt/keep up.
When I feel sticker shock on something my first thought is to be thankful for the "loss of value of money" -If money did not lose value and prices went up-that would be something to complain about.

BTW I bought my new 69 Superbee in 1969 for about $3900. --I financed it for $142 per mo. payments (@ 12% int.) when I was earning $1.75 per hour working 40 hr. per week. That was the meaning of the word "expensive" for me at the time.

Let's put aside "dollars" for a test of cost.----How many hours per week would one be willing to work to pay for a car and associated costs?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back