• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to clone a 72 roadrunner

Build it the way you want it. So if a RR is what you want then build it.

I also own a '72 Sat, and here are some things I have learned. A nice grille for a '72 typically sells for well over $1000 when you can find one. I have seen driver quality ones for $1400 starting bids on ebay. The rear valance with the dual cutouts for a '72 is not being repopped to the best of my knowledge, so you will need to find a good one from a '72, or attempt to reproduce the cutouts yourself. I was fortunate enough to be informed before buying one that a '71 RR rear valance will not fit- different taillights on the '72s required a different bumper, which does not match up to the '71 valance. I believe the machine gun tips were optional, so although they are not required for a correct cloning, they are in my opinion the coolest looking exhaust tips on any production vehicle ever. You could easily be out well over 2 grand to get set up with the correct factory look for the front and rear ends, and you still would have a tribute or clone rather than an original RR, and I believe there is nothing wrong with that. The resale value will not be the same as a factory RR, but you will still have the car you want and be able to enjoy it for what it is. But that 2 grand would go a long way toward improving the performance and handling of your ride. The availability of modern day parts allows us to modify a B body to go faster, stop shorter and handle better than they ever could when brand new. If your intent is to keep the car for a long time, do whatever makes you happy. I have decided to keep the nice Satellite grille I already have. I can buy a lot of performance with the money that I don't spend on a correct '72 grille. I will probably attempt to modify my existing rear valance, unless one falls into my lap at a swap meet. My goal is not to build a correct looking clone, but to end up with a car that will outperform the original spec RR's in every way.

The exhaust tips were not standard on the RR or GTX. Was an option and was not available on CA and other cars with the noise reduction package.

I have a RR hood send me a message if you are interested. I'm in southeast Wisconsin. Also have a bunch of other road runner stuff.

Yes i am acually looking for a hood im in ohio im not sure where your buddie lives but yaa ill deff have pics up this weekend for you guys thanks for all the help

I'm starting to look around to buy a 71-72 Sat/RR, it's scary to see the prices for parts. I thought $200 for light lenses for my Charger was bad. A grille for over $1000? ACK!

Well... it IS the greatest front end for a car in automotive history... :)

You dont need the rear valence with cutouts, my 72 RR did not come with them. My advice would be to just paint the Satellite grille like a 71 RR grille and put the little bird head in it. Also I would not get caught up with all the parts that make it correct for a RR as its not worth the money. Buy lots of aftermarket handeling and go fast parts instead.

I agree. First off I have to tell all you guys what a clone really is. All the purists will tell you a clone is just bull$(!t. Well, My angle on this is all the R/T's, Rally's, Road Runners and GTX's are the true clones aren't they? They were made from Belveders and Satellites, Right. OK, now with that said dont make a clone, make the car you want. Car people have been doing that since the Model A.

Build it the way you want, drive it like its stolen and have fun.

I agree. First off I have to tell all you guys what a clone really is. All the purists will tell you a clone is just bull$(!t. Well, My angle on this is all the R/T's, Rally's, Road Runners and GTX's are the true clones aren't they? They were made from Belveders and Satellites, Right. OK, now with that said dont make a clone, make the car you want. Car people have been doing that since the Model A.

Build it the way you want, drive it like its stolen and have fun.

I have to agree.

I'm thinking about either running no badges, because if you dont know what it is your not a MOPAR guy (or gal). Besides I like the clean look on these cars. they have perfect lines and some of the sweetest styling in the industry. They just look FAST hunkered down in the garage. My other idea is to re-name it. I thought of of a few but my favorite one is GT/XS. No badges, just a subtle ghost type GT/XS right under the strobe stripe. Probably with a foward facing slant and a dark to lighter, top to bottom strobe effect. Sorry didnt mean to hijack this thread. Im just bored today. I guess its not really hijacking because it does pertain to the OP, just a little:3gears:. Good Luck with your build!

I cloned my "Roadrunner" from a satellite sebring plus IMG_1126.jpg It now has a mildly built 360, 323 sure grip in an 8 3/4 housing (out of a 71 c body). The only thing I have real trouble with is the correct grill as they are very spendy and hard to find. The spoilers are not correct for the year but like others have said "who cares its your car". How is yours coming?

Since I joined this site I have been reading the words clone, original, Factory correct and so on. They are just cars! I believe even the purist wish they could change something about the cars They own But Are too scared it will hurt the value. If that is the case I would not think they are enjoying their cars as much as a driver.

All here have helped me a ton. I am sure they will lead you in the right direction. As for your Question About cloning i think there are standard Items you need to clone but many of them I have seen were badged & optioned differently. I would pick ones That appeals to you and clone from them.

Look I'd say do with your car what you will. All it is a numbers game ,What does the build sheet say?What does the fender tag say ?Bla,bla,bla etc. All these cars are built the same way with every body panel built the same way. It's truly amazing to me that people scoff and say it's a clone or it's a fake ,when all it really is is just numbers and options game .A satellite is the same thing as a roadrunner or Gtx but with different options and numbers to make it such.I guess what I'm saying is people like to think what they have is better, or special, or more of a rare car.If somebody wants to pay an extra 20,000 grand for a car that the only difference is numbers or options that's fine, people shouldn't make it an issue to look down on others because they really like the other car options better than what they have on their cars and decide to make a clone .So to me there is no " Look within yourself to see if you can live with a fake Roadrunner" it's not some deep soul searching conclusion you have to reach ,just do what makes you happy and no one else. Good luck.

Here's mine, and see my sig for what I think about clones vs. purebreds.

I was lucky enough to find a beat-up grille for "only" $600 and had fun repairing/restoring it. If you can't find one, you can always say that someone backed into you and wrecked the '72 grille so you're temporarily wearing an affordable '71 bird-head model instead. :eusa_naughty: :icon_lol:

Definitely swap the hood and the instrument cluster if nothing else. You wouldn't believe how many people think they have a "clone" because they slapped on a couple of model-correct decals, and nothing else.

IMG_1316.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. No matter what you do, anyone outside the Mopar world will think you have a GTO, anyway. We all have GTOs, to those people. :glasses2:

i bought mine as a clone..because it was 1/2 the price of a "real" one...however when some road rash hits her..or other things..i'm not that upset..and she's got some balls to her! She's won some awards...and in Englishtown Mopar weekend it won 1st Place trophy in it's class..and beat out a "real" roadrunner..it's your $$$...do what you want!
rr1_zpsab925de6.jpg

Pissing off purists is one of life's greatest pleasures. Care to look askance at my clone? Or down yer nose at my "Disco-era" Mopar? Go ahead...and we'll be having a very different conversation.

Seems like a lot of dough to build a "correct" RR clone, I think the OP got the answer to his original question in at least a couple of posts here. The rest (including mine) are mostly opinion pieces. It's a cool car to start with, build it the way YOU want, unless yer gonna flip it...then customize for a larger audience. I have to admit I've never really quite understood clones or tribute cars. Not because I think they're any less of a car (exactly the opposite, see bigredbird's signature), but they're someone ELSE'S idea of what's hot..usually marketing suits from Detroit. Personally, I think every car looks best with black steelies, no stripes, and a 4 speed...but that just me.

Where's the pics!?

If you're driving it, you can't check numbers, and if you're checking numbers you're not driving.

It's kinda like Jennifer Anniston, there's no way I'll ever be with her, BUT, say Jennifer has a twin sister named Joyce, who has freckles and small boobies.... Do I turn her down because she's not Jennifer, or do I give her a boob job, love the freckles, and live the fantasy? What's in a name anyway?

As long as we're in FantasyLand, I'd like Jennifer AND Joyce....both....together.....at the same time.

I believe this is what's referred to as a thread "taking a weird turn".

I have a 72 satty that I plan to give the RR "treatment" but keep a satty...I like the strobes and what not but Y not go with a fictional satellite made up version of a satellite and instead of RR decals have a cool looking satty emblem made out of vinyl and be the only guy who has one..my plan any ways...way more fun to screw with the purist with a non existent car than a clone ;) but to each their own...I would have np with a clone but I do have a problem with a $1500 grill to fake a car...just crazy when its plastic and could have bought a stroked big block for the money...plus the cool factor when you womp a RR wi5th your Satty at the track....huh..yours might be worth more but mine will always be faster ;)

Auto Transport Service
Back