• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to crate or prepare a fender for shipping advice.

I received my repro fenders for my Dakota last month. They came in the large box (photo) and the fender was btw a folded piece of cardboard with string ties. That was all. The R fender arrived damaged, and few days later the left one came undamaged. The photos I sent to the supplier to show them the caved boz and damaged fender. They shipped another same way and no damage. They said keep the skanked fender so will have to deal with getting rid of it. Yep, the way they packed them needed decent handling to avoid damage...and apparently they weren't too worried about it.

Fender 3.jpg Fender 2.jpg Fender 1.jpg

I understand. You're not being an idiot.
The pallet is wrapped around the edges. Not underneath. With the wood strips holding
the wrap down around the edge of the hood,
It won't matter if the forklift punctures the wrap.
Just make sure to get a good stretch on the wrap.
The hood can be stood up on the pallet when
shipped. The reason for the bubble wrap is to
minimize dings and scratches.

I understand. You're not being an idiot.
The pallet is wrapped around the edges. Not underneath. With the wood strips holding
the wrap down around the edge of the hood,
It won't matter if the forklift punctures the wrap.
Just make sure to get a good stretch on the wrap.
The hood can be stood up on the pallet when
shipped. The reason for the bubble wrap is to
minimize dings and scratches.

I see. So there is the possibility that when packing the truck, other items can be leaned against it. The bubble wrap and cardboard will help prevent some damage. The hood could tip on the pallet edge if stood up but I would think they secure it or place something next to it.

I received my repro fenders for my Dakota last month. They came in the large box (photo) and the fender was btw a folded piece of cardboard with string ties. That was all. The R fender arrived damaged, and few days later the left one came undamaged. The photos I sent to the supplier to show them the caved boz and damaged fender. They shipped another same way and no damage. They said keep the skanked fender so will have to deal with getting rid of it. Yep, the way they packed them needed decent handling to avoid damage...and apparently they weren't too worried about it.

View attachment 1180698 View attachment 1180700 View attachment 1180701

Yes. I know retailers do ship that way. They can afford to replace mishaps. Probably have insurance. AMD has cardboard around the fenders on both sides. I bought two this year like that. The problem is shipping a rare fender that isn't reproduced without damage. I can't replace a used fender that is damaged and don't want the headache of refunds or returns. Everyone needs to be left happy.

Glad you got your fenders and good luck with the resto. Thanks for the response

Yes. I know retailers do ship that way. They can afford to replace mishaps. Probably have insurance. AMD has cardboard around the fenders on both sides. I bought two this year like that. The problem is shipping a rare fender that isn't reproduced without damage. I can't replace a used fender that is damaged and don't want the headache of refunds or returns. Everyone needs to be left happy.

Glad you got your fenders and good luck with the resto. Thanks for the response
Yep - a part like you have will need to be packed/crated well. Take photos of it and buyer should as well on receipt. Thanks

"The hood could tip on the pallet edge if stood up but I would think they secure it or place something next to it."

The last batch of stuff i shipped, was loaded in a
box truck (not a flatbed). The loader/driver secured
the pallets with straps. The trailer had tie-down rails
around the perimeter interior walls.
The load was all of the body parts (cab, doors, front/
rear fenders, hood, grille, and running boards), for
a 1940 Plymouth truck. Shipped from Sealy, TX to
Greenville, IN.
4 pallets. The cab didn't need one. No damage
from shipping.

View attachment 1180698 View attachment 1180700 View attachment 1180701
It was pretty common for sheet metal to be shipped like that to dealerships even in the 60's and 70's. Don't know about now but anything that came in with minor damage (define minor) from shipping back then was just fixed by the dealer body shop and installed.

do they pick up and drop off at a residence ?

thank you
Most LTL (Less than Truck Load) companies like Estes, Old Dominion, R & L Carriers, etc. will pick up at your residence as long as the route can accommodate trucks. You can also take it their terminal yourself and save some money. Call around.

Auto Transport Service
Back