• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to get rid of surface pit rust on body

Save your money and hit those spots with a pick hammer...with the other rust I see I bet that metal is gone too

I've had pretty darn good luck with this, specifically in those shallow pits.

45659310.jpg

Use klean strip concrete and metal prep (phosphoric acid) and a course piece of scotch brite to remove the surface rust. If you keep scrubbing with the acid and scotch brite together you will get to clean rust free metal. Then while it is still wet with the acid rinse it off with Windex. Windex is a base and will neutralize the metal. Then blow it dry and it will be perfectly clean and ready for primer. I cleaned a ton of surface rust off of my car this way. If you are worried that the area is too thin, set your welder up for 18ga and see if it will blow through or not.

How big is a rust pit? How big is a grain of sand? Forget sandblsting !!

I’m starting to notice a few small rust pits as I am sanding the body. What are some options that have provided good results? I know sand blast would be the best but that isn’t very practical for my situation.

View attachment 1412991
Hello. If no holes best option is sand blast it should remove the rust in the pitting. Then epoxy primer(2-3)coats let harden a few days at that point scuff with 80grit paper and fill pits with a good quality body filler. Then prime and finish out as normal. Hope this helps.

Auto Transport Service
Back