• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust Bubbles - How Big of an issue?

Rob Jett

Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
I've had this '68 just over 20 years. It was painted right before I bought it and about 10 years ago the first few rust bubbles started popping up. The car very rarely gets wet and the bubbles have been very slow to grow/spread, but there are probably 5 different areas showing a few bubbles. The car isn't going to win any car shows, but it presents very well. I'm hesitant to repair just the rust spots as I doubt the paint will ever match and the bubbles are hardly noticeable. I'm also not in a position to strip the whole car down and repaint the whole thing - at least not to the degree it deserves.

My question is, how much worse am I making this by letting it sit as is?

One of the things I love about this car is it is low mileage, never has been in an accident, has all its original metal and has zero rust other than these annoying bubbles.

Am I going to regret not dealing with this in 5-10 years when I repaint the whole thing, or is it the kind of thing that won't be that big of a deal to fix when I get around to stripping the whole thing down in 5-10 years?

bubbles.jpg

charger.jpg

Rust is like cancer, it never sleeps. If it were me, I would be dealing with it now before it gets worse.

The longer you wait the worst it's going to get , rust never sleeps , better to deal with it now then later , you wait later it will be more to fix and cost alot more, a good paint body man could fix that and blend the paint make it match pretty close and if it didn't beats bubbles plus it would be fix , you said you was going to repainted later on anyway.

True, but when you fix this you will make one patch and replace the whole area. So rust bubbles aren't going to hurt anything if they grow here.

5629E91C-44DD-47E5-B904-47B5F82ADD2B.jpeg

As posted, rust is a silent demon, hidden by the paint and usually larger area affected than viewed. Was surprised how an area of the quarter on my ride under the side trim just showed some bubbles, being a CA car that never saw salt, didn’t think it would be more than surface rusting…until stripping the paint and primer off. Required about a 6” x 4’’ cut out and new metal.

I'll bet $3 that you'll find body-filler under that paint, covering the rust that was beneath that.

Nice 68!! As R413 said, when the time comes you cut out rust till there isn't any more... If your storing the car in a dry environment it'll take a long time to get worse.... If it's damp it'll get worse surprisingly quickly....

Flood the back side of the panel with body wax, it'll slow the rust..

As Photon 440 mentioned there may be plastic filler over old rust... But so what, when your ready start cutting....

If you have the $$$ find and store a pair of full quarters.... If you wind up needing them you'll have them.. If you don't they are like money in the bank...

I have a couple warts on my 67 that haven't changed in 20 yrs

Get a spray can of Rust Check or Krown rust inhibitor, and soak it down from the back side. It won't stop it, but will slow it down. I spray this stuff inside my doors before putting the door cards back on. Another good spot to spray is the outside edges of rear wheel well tubs from inside the trunk compartment.

I bet if you POP one of those blisters you'll get water out of it. If you fix it now, you'll be able to paint just that
lower area up to the body line and you're done! Fix it! The car is beautiful! Think of the music from the movie,
JAWS!

To me, that looks like previous body work coming back out.

"Rust" in that area would either start on the exterior (which it's clearly not) or from the back side, between the QP and the drop-off.
If that were the case, there would be an obvious issue in the trunk, like a leak.

Last edited:
you could keep it small and spot it in without getting too crazy.....probably be good for another 20 years

any capable painter can match that and blend, working off the available body lines

The bottom of the rocker looks good. I think that would be consistent with old repairs. If the panel were full of dust holding moisture, the bottom would probably have bubbles. Put a magnetic business card on it. The good news is it's down low, so any fix you do a lot less apt to be noticeable. I would be tempted to put an screwdriver to it, though I'm pretty sure it will go through easily.

My guess is that it isn't that bad yet. Best to strip that area down in small portions and check it out.
Plenty of rust inhibiting products out there to stop it. Matching the paint shouldn't be too hard especially that low on the panel.
Good thing you caught it this soon like any form of cancer.

The bottom of the rocker looks good. I think that would be consistent with old repairs. If the panel were full of dust holding moisture, the bottom would probably have bubbles. Put a magnetic business card on it. The good news is it's down low, so any fix you do a lot less apt to be noticeable. I would be tempted to put an screwdriver to it, though I'm pretty sure it will go through easily.

I have never encountered a rotted rocker on any 66-70 B Body, unless it had been repaired or replaced....... there is some sort of galvanizing in that area

however, they do rot where it tucks in behind the quarter panel

lower fenders, doors, and quarters are obviously untreated

I have never encountered a rotted rocker on any 66-70 B Body, unless it had been repaired or replaced....... there is some sort of galvanizing in that area
I have seen a couple of rotted out rockers. Always from mice building nests inside and then pissing in the nests. Not a nice smelling deal when they get opened up.

I have seen a couple of rotted out rockers. Always from mice building nests inside and then pissing in the nests. Not a nice smelling deal when they get opened up.

oh yeah, that'll do it.......

I recently spent an entire day removing nests from both sides, packed in there tight; no rot through though...... I was tempted to light the nests on fire, probably should have :fool:

a very small sample, that **** was everywhere

IMG_20231009_175905804.jpg

I have a respect for the smarter members of the forum, eldubb 440 and 1 Wild R/T, but....
I have some small bubbles in my car that have stayed about the same for almost 10 years now. They are below the quarter windows in my '70 Charger above the rocker panels slightly. I don't drive in the rain and the car is stored indoors. Humidity isn't high here. I don't see the problem with waiting until it gets worse or when you are in a spot where you need to fix body damage and repaint another area. I'm holding off for that...If I get in a bender, I'll take the plunge and fix any and every flaw and repaint the entire car.
That is just me though....

Auto Transport Service
Back