• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to quiet down a stroked 383

Different tips can make a huge difference in sound. I found that out on my Duster when going from turn downs to chrome tips.

Way, WAY back when, I had a stock Vega with the tiny stock exhaust. I wanted to dress it up a bit, so I put a 2 1/2" bellmouth tip on it, on a 1 3/4 tailpipe. Wow! Acted like a megaphone, completely changed the tone. (Looking back, not in a good way)
(The Vega ended up with a nitroused 327, turbo 350, narrowed 8 3/4)

Different tips can make a huge difference in sound. I found that out on my Duster when going from turn downs to chrome tips.
Was it louder with the tips versus the turn downs?

Way, WAY back when, I had a stock Vega with the tiny stock exhaust. I wanted to dress it up a bit, so I put a 2 1/2" bellmouth tip on it, on a 1 3/4 tailpipe. Wow! Acted like a megaphone, completely changed the tone. (Looking back, not in a good way)
(The Vega ended up with a nitroused 327, turbo 350, narrowed 8 3/4)
Thanks!

I had a 307 Vega when I was a kid. Pretty stock motor but it moved!

do a large volume reverse flow muffler. something like dyno max super hemi turbo.

Was it louder with the tips versus the turn downs?
It should be louder with the tips vs. the turn downs. If you look, for example, at a 68-70 B bodies fender tag, N97 = Noise reduction package – required in CA. This package was basically turn downs, and I think perhaps a snorkel air cleaner on some models.

It should be louder with the tips vs. the turn downs. If you look, for example, at a 68-70 B bodies fender tag, N97 = Noise reduction package – required in CA. This package was basically turn downs, and I think perhaps a snorkel air cleaner on some models.
That's actually very interesting. Thanks!

That's actually very interesting. Thanks!
I have a california delivered A12, no aircleaner mods, but it came with turndowns, no tips.
I think the N97 included a hood pad too, N/A on a glass six barrel hood.

Auto Transport Service
Back