• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove engine 73 charger

Travis_216

Local time
2:19 AM
Reaction score
I just wanted to know exactly how to haul the motor in my 73 charger, it's a 400 big block. I want to haul it tomorrow or Tuesday.

Thanks!!

what do you mean "haul" it ? as in transport it? overhaul it ?

only tip i can think of to make it easyer is to jack up the rear of the car as high as possible.it lowers the front and makes eng removal much easyer.(even with the trans still attached)pulling the hood is also a must,if you have not done that.

only tip i can think of to make it easyer is to jack up the rear of the car as high as possible.it lowers the front and makes eng removal much easyer.(even with the trans still attached)pulling the hood is also a must,if you have not done that.

I got all of that done, I was wondering everything I had to disconnect and unbolt.

disconnect the wiring,motor mounts,trans mount,remove drive shaft.

i leave my hood on . i leave the car on the ground so i can roll the car instead of the hoist, so im not jerking the engine around.

Attachments

• rb89.jpg
    rb89.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 481
  • rb90.jpg
    rb90.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 431
I got all of that done, I was wondering everything I had to disconnect and unbolt.

Not trying to come off like a smartass, but open your eyes and look. You can learn something here. Simply disconnect anything that is attached to the engine (or trans if you're removing that too). It's not rocket science. Just make sure not to leave any thing attached. I've seen people rip wiring harnesses and speedo cables apart because they did not remove them. Best advice I can give you is DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING.

Not trying to come off like a smartass, but open your eyes and look. You can learn something here. Simply disconnect anything that is attached to the engine (or trans if you're removing that too). It's not rocket science. Just make sure not to leave any thing attached. I've seen people rip wiring harnesses and speedo cables apart because they did not remove them. Best advice I can give you is DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING.

exactly.

trans lines , starter wires , shifter linkage , NSS switch wiring , speedo cable , exhaust , engine wiring , engine mounts etc etc........there isnt much to it

FWIW, I'll throw this in. It's not much extra labor to remove the driveline the same way Chrysler installed it. From the bottom. You can unbolt the driveshaft, trans crossmember, all the connections, unbolt the K frame, disconnect the steering shaft, unbolt the upper control arms and lower it all out through the bottom. That's how I usually do it. When people ask why, I simply say because if you're rebuilding the engine, chances are the suspension needs it too. So when you get the K frame out, you got the whole front suspension starin you in the face.

FWIW, I'll throw this in. It's not much extra labor to remove the driveline the same way Chrysler installed it. From the bottom. You can unbolt the driveshaft, trans crossmember, all the connections, unbolt the K frame, disconnect the steering shaft, unbolt the upper control arms and lower it all out through the bottom. That's how I usually do it. When people ask why, I simply say because if you're rebuilding the engine, chances are the suspension needs it too. So when you get the K frame out, you got the whole front suspension starin you in the face.

Thanks for all of the replies, I just wanted to make sure there was nothing in particular that I had to do to remove it. Just wanted to take precaution haha. I'm rebuilding the suspension too, anybody have any advice on what's the best to do to make it handle the best?

Thanks

As stated above however when i installed my motor and trans [mock up] it was a pain in the arse to get the trans thru the crossmember without hitting the firewall/K frame had to loosen the bellhouseing and she dropped in. I removed it seperate and thats my plan for the final install,probly dont help i'm stuffing a 440/727 in a 318/904 car. Dropping the K frame sounds easier but without a lift i ain't gonna try it, i have no patence!!!

Originally posted by RustyRatRod :

I agree,
I had just pulled mine a few weeks ago ( a 400 out of a 73 Charger) and I got the back up high on jackstands and I also had a floorjack under the trans , I just pulled the engine only and used tie wire to tie up the trans to the fender support rods bolt. There are plenty of ways to get it done ( just don't pull it with the torque converter attatched for pete's sake !) , and learning how to do it takes patience and a plan , you have to put it back in remember !! take your time and take some photos of stuff you think you'll forget. DO IT !

As its a 73 your working on and your going to be doing the suspension too, I would recommend removing the torsion bars and the ISO torsion bar cross member which will give even more room to get even more transmission tail clearance... your going to have to remove the torsion bars anyway if your replacing the lower control arm bushings.

Eddit: Additional... remove your rad to not only gain more clearance but to avoid damaging it. Also BE SAFE!

Auto Transport Service
Back