• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How would you handle this situation with another FBBO member purchase

Outlaw525

Local time
8:09 AM
Reaction score
I recently purchased Flaming River steering box from a member here on FBBO. I paid using Paypal and the seller ask me to do it as "friends and family". (Yea, I know, no need for lectures) Seller provided a tracking number and the the Post Office promptly lost the package on May 30th. The seller was supposedly working with the Post Office to find it. I talked to the local Post Office and was told that the shipper needed to file the claim for the lost package which I asked the seller to do on June 14 and again on the 22nd. The Post Office has now informed me that it is too late to file a claim even if the package was insured. The seller has not responded to my PM's or e-mails for over a week. Not knowing how they packaged it or if it was insured, I asked that they do a refund of half and I would eat the other half. No response. Still trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, what are your thoughts?

sounds like you're getting bent over, if it were me, I'd look and see if they've been on the site, and if they have and are just ignoring your messages, I'd let everyone know what a D-bag the guy is that you bought from

They have been on, so i know they saw the PM's. Like I said, I would like to give them a chance. If they don't respond soon, I will let everyone know, so this doesn't happen to someone else.

Is this it?

New never used Flaming River Manual Steering Gear Box
Gear Box, Coupler and Coupler Shaft
Decided to go with power steering
Has not been installed
$450 for all plus shipping

05-25-2015, 09:46 PM #2
Todd Hansen
Status Offline
Thanks Given
Thanked 1 Time in 1 PostTrader Score
Gear box is sold. Thanks, FBBO

looks like it's the post office fault, not really the seller. but seller should be looking into it. htf does the p.o. loose stuff like this? i sold some parts to a member here on fbbo, and clearly wrote on the package "do not bend". when buyer received it he told me it had been folded in half and put in his mail box! make a claim with the post office

It's the sellers responsibility to get the product to you. He should have followed up with the PO and if he didn't he owes you

Agreed. If it's the post office's policy that the sender file, then it is his responsibility to make it right...especially if he bothered to insure it. Why can't people do the responsible thing? I wonder what his opine would be if the roles were reversed?

I must admit too, less than 30 days to file a claim...and now it's too late? That hardly seems fair on the post office's part.

I sold an $850.00 Boring bar set on Flea-Bay and used the U.S.P.S. to ship it from Chicago to a suburb of St. Louis. I didn't insure it. The post office outside of St. Louis lost the package
and their equipment ripped the label off of the package. The box weighed around 80lbs. Lost forever! I promptly refunded the buyer's purchase price and informed him about the drama.
The purchaser did nothing wrong. It's between me and the Post Office. Done! Ouch! Next time I will insure it!

He should make it right.. he should have gotten the insurance $$ from the P.O. If he doesn't fix it, name-flame him on here I say.

Until you receive the item, it is the shipper's responsibility. Shipper's responsibility to insure it, shipper's responsibility to file the claim. You should get a full refund IMMEDIATELY.

I'm in the camp of the full refund crowd. Seller owns the responsibility of getting you the part. I think you opting to split the cost with him was quite generous. You can get the refund through PayPal correct?

I'm in the camp of the full refund crowd. Seller owns the responsibility of getting you the part. I think you opting to split the cost with him was quite generous. You can get the refund through PayPal correct?

nope, seller had him send it "friends and family" which means no fees, no fees means no protection and as far as paypal is concerned, no goods or services changed hands, and no refund will be given

Wow that sucks. I've learned something here too. This poor guy got screwed. I'll never do the friends and family thing after learning this.

I have to agree with everyone on this unless he offered insurance and you didn't want to pay the extra. BUT.. he should of filed the clam asap. To avoid problem s you payed him it's his job to finish the deal by getting you your item
I don't understand why people don't do things correctly anymore . It's very easy you sell an item buyer gives you money then you give buyer the item . If item doesn't make it to buyer as stated then a deal must be reached or a refund should be given. The buyer isn't justgiving you money because he has to much .no item =no cash if seller is reading this do the right thing .
At least give him back half that's more then fair .
Good luck and if seller doesn't play nice please let us know who not to deal with in the future.

IIRC even if don't purchase insurance, it's automatically insured for up to $50.

IIRC as well that up to $200 only costs about $2.

Every time I have either not received or received something damaged the seller has made good on it. He should make it right if not light him up

Never buy or sell with a new member with under 200 posts.

Never pay with PayPal via friends and family.

You should get a full refund from the seller.

nope, seller had him send it "friends and family" which means no fees, no fees means no protection and as far as paypal is concerned, no goods or services changed hands, and no refund will be given

He Outlaw525 knows that he messed up too, hinds sight is 20/20
that is the bad part, might have been duped or it may have been a scam,
it may just have been just a shipping issue too...

Until you hear from both sides it's hard to say

BUT IMO the shipper should honor what they say,
bypassing/sidestepping the typical payments,
regardless of Pay Pall BS std.'s, should be a lesson for everyone...

The "Family & Friends " deal should only be done with actual F&F,
then it's on you, for trusting a F or F, no excuses...
I'm sure he damn well knows that now too...

Hopefully it all works out

The burden "ethically" should be on the shipper,
BUT we all know ethics or morality, doing the right things,
unfortunately has very little to do with parts & cars sales

caveat emptor {?} buyer beware

Auto Transport Service
Back