• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Cali trip

patrick66

Local time
7:52 AM
Reaction score
I was out in the Bay Area recently to help and support my little sister, who had a double lung transplant at UCSF in October. We were in Pacifica, which is a really lovely town South of SF proper, and right on the coast. She was using a very nice fifth wheel trailer that her roomie provided, so she could do all of her follow-up activities before ultimately going home right after Christmas. I had not been in the Bay Area since 1992, and that was transiting through SFO. Her campground was right on the seashore, on a bluff about fifty feet up off the beach level. A beautiful location! Well, until a week and a half ago on the day my sister left to go home...

Much of the bluff eroded away after 20' - 30' waves crashed the bluff the day my Sis departed SFO. About twenty feet of the parking lot fell into the water as the surface was undercut by the wave action. No RVs were lost, but the campground had its space renters evacuate and move their rigs. The City of Pacifica took a huge hit, knocking down and eroding much of the seawall that kept things right just a few days earlier. Highway 1 runs right past my hotel, and since it was just a few feet above sea level and with minimum breaks in places, it was chock-full of sand and debris. From what I've seen on news coverage that is available on YT, most of the places I visited in Pacifica and Half Moon Bay are a huge mess now. Such a shame, too; as there are beautiful 60-100 year old homes that once were a quarter-mile or more from the sea, now are at risk of tumbling down the cliffs. Crazy.

I'll post some "before" pics later today.

Yep they've been getting pounded, by a few consecutive storms now...

Auto Transport Service
Back