• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hughes or Harland Sharp rockers

t.flatt

Local time
2:10 PM
Reaction score
So, I made the decision to buy rockers from Hughes. A couple weeks later nothing had shown up and no charge to my card. Rather than call them to see what was up I decided to be a dumbass and ordered some Harland Sharp ones. Those showed up and of course the Hughes ones showed up a couple days ago. I have no experience with various rocker arms so which ones should I keep? I like that the Hughes ones have no rollers on the shaft. Thanks for any input!

I seem to have gotten into the extra parts thing, but you never know.

My preference are the Harland Sharps'..
Been installing and running these for many years, they hold up well if set up properly...
But like everything else they have gone up significantly..

Just my $0.02.... ;)

You can run the Hughes rockers on any decent shaft. The HS rockers definitely require hard chromed shafts.

I am using the Hughes in my 493. In fact the entire valve train is Hughes.
Mike

Harland sharp makes them for Huges! I'm running HS on an 800 HP Engine with a 200 shot 3+ years Zero Problems

IMG_1928.JPG

HS rockers are great, pretty much indestructible in most applications.

Last edited:
Harland sharp makes them for Huges! I'm running HS on an 800 HP Engine with a 200 shot 3+ years Zero Problems
They do? That's some street cred for HS! You're running way harder than I plan to! I'm sure either rocker arm will work great. Flip a coin? Ha Ha!!!

Are you sure HS makes the Hughes rockers

Now that the OP has them side by side, I wonder if there is any difference between them. I wouldn’t say “No there the same rocker!” to fast!

Now that the OP has them side by side, I wonder if there is any difference between them. I wouldn’t say “No there the same rocker!” to fast!
I think you're on the right track. I have owned and used Hughes rockers, Harland Sharp and Mancini rockers. Hughes and Harland Sharp have no similarities while the aluminum Mancini rockers are made by Harland Sharp and are similar looking.

If the OP likes the Hughes ones I see no reason he shouldn't use them.

@IQ52 Thanks. I wonder about the position of everything on the rocker. There a simple device in the basic sense and there description of how they work and what they do and, that’s where it ends.

IMO, I think the main points of interest for any rocker use and even more so going up on the performance level is a multiple point questioning that an inspection should tell you what the length of the tip and tail of the rocker is from the fulcrum point and where the pushrod adjuster is located. These 3 things come to mind on the quick. Even though there is more to ponder & investigate.

@andyf may have some insight on this topic of rocker arms.

David Vizard did a very good YouTube video about rocker arm geometry. However, since manufacturers don't divulge the info you'd have to do your own testing and measuring to compare brands.

You cannot design a roller rocker that will work perfect on all cylinder heads. I have found that every roller rocker I've ever used needed some location correction for better geometry.

Will they run without correction? Yes.

Will they be better with correction? You betcha.

Gotta go now....it's Mom's 93rd birthday.

Comparing these rockers side by side, they are very different. The Huges ones ride directly on the shaft with an oil groove on the bottom. Oil holes on top for the roller and on the side for the pushrod. Very simple design. The Harlands have 48 rollers for the shaft and one oil hole for the pushrod. That's 768 things that could fail!!!

20220103_171950.jpg 20220103_171757.jpg 20220103_171715.jpg 20220103_171636.jpg

I see no similarities that would suggest Harland makes them for Hughes.

The HS rockers are much more robust. The rollers are hardly something you need worry about, there are million of these types of bearings in use in much worse environments. Personally I'm more worried that the Hughes rockers would gall on the shafts. What its going to boil down to is A) what is the user comfortable with and B) can he afford the cost of the HS's.

A final point is this: HS's have been around a LONG time. I bought mine back around '94 I think (the 2nd year of Chryslers at Carlisle). If they were junk they probably wouldn't still be making them.

Auto Transport Service
Back