• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hypothetical VIN question:

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:08 AM
Reaction score
I just was thinking about the VINs on these cars.
The question I'm pondering IS: Does the last 6 numbers, aka "sequence number", depend on the first 7 characters?
In other words....For example, a VIN XP29G0G indicates a 1970 Dodge Charger 500 with a 318 built in St Louis. Lets say the sequence number is 123456. Is it possible for that same sequence number to exist for a VIN that starts with XS29V0G ? The second car being a 70 Charger R/T with a 440/6 Pack. Could they both have the same sequence number or were those unique to each car regardless of trim level, engine, assembly plant?

Kern,
From what I have read, the answer is NO. The sequence number is "roughly" when the plant (central purchasing) thinks a car will be made. Some of that is based on material availability at that plant. Anyway, when the vehicle is assigned a VIN, that rough sequence number is assigned to specific vehicle. These sequence numbers are not always done in the same order that the vehicle was ordered, or when the order arrived at the plant. Two chargers on the same line one in front of the other, could have sequence numbers that are not sequential. Maybe sunroofs were back ordered for a week, IDK. The first 7 numbers are not directly related to the last 6 as I understand it.

As for the second part of your question, R/T Boy 67 is spot on (I think) that the last six are given out and only used once per year. That being said, I guess two different years could have the same sequence number but the first 7 would not match as the year was different.

I could, however, be completely wrong.

The question I'm pondering IS: Does the last 6 numbers, aka "sequence number", depend on the first 7 characters?
In other words....For example, a VIN XP29G0G indicates a 1970 Dodge Charger 500 with a 318 built in St Louis. Lets say the sequence number is 123456. Is it possible for that same sequence number to exist for a VIN that starts with XS29V0G ? The second car being a 70 Charger R/T with a 440/6 Pack. Could they both have the same sequence number or were those unique to each car regardless of trim level, engine, assembly plant?
Good point because they built let’s say 50-75 cars a day but my thinking is it’s the order number assigned to build the car once the dealer places and order. My friends FM3 Charger was built 118 units before me and a day before. I could check my sequence number to another 70 RR built on or close to my build in my data base if needed KD

Lol, I just entered a vin of a vehicle someone needed help with and the service info popped up the new 23, and a 2006. Lol. I only used the last 8 of the vin tho. Just shows they do repeat but not often.

As mentioned, last 6 are used once per year per plant. However, not all plants (if any) start at Zero for the model year. So, last 6 could be duplicated in the same year but different plants, so the entire VIN would never be duplicated.

XS29V0G? That sounds familiar…
D4E3E58A-B2CC-4E80-A4F0-2AF0F723CC44.jpeg

:D

None of the numbers are set in stone. The scheduled production date is the day the car is scheduled to be produced, but that doesn’t mean it was assembled in rust day, but to the plant it did not matter, it was a date already assigned. They wouldn’t have gone back and changed a number already assigned, it would just cause too much paperwork for nothing. So there’s really no way to know when a car was actually built, or when the sequence number was actually assigned.

There’s a Roadrunner in my town with the same scheduled production day, and at the same plant as mine, but our sequence numbers are over 100 numbers different.

I knew the answer was within reach here, Thanks guys.
The VINs I listed were just randomly picked, pertaining to nobody here in particular.
Any and all coincidences are purely accidental...

01 face 11.GIF

Washington Post article from 1979 re: Hamtramck.
"For a while, as many as 12,000 cars came off the assembly line here in a six-day workweek."

None of the numbers are set in stone. The scheduled production date is the day the car is scheduled to be produced, but that doesn’t mean it was assembled in rust day, but to the plant it did not matter, it was a date already assigned. They wouldn’t have gone back and changed a number already assigned, it would just cause too much paperwork for nothing. So there’s really no way to know when a car was actually built, or when the sequence number was actually assigned.

There’s a Roadrunner in my town with the same scheduled production day, and at the same plant as mine, but our sequence numbers are over 100 numbers different.
But look at your door sticker and it’ll tell day time and shift it was either started or ended assembly

Just to add one more thought. The system of stamping a partial VIN on the engine and transmission would not work as planned if they reused the sequence number in the same model year.

Good point because they built let’s say 50-75 cars a day but my thinking is it’s the order number assigned to build the car once the dealer places and order. My friends FM3 Charger was built 118 units before me and a day before. I could check my sequence number to another 70 RR built on or close to my build in my data base if needed KD
Probably more than that. Lynch road was building around 56 cars per hour, two shifts a day.

Hold the phone........is it left or is it right?

Is it possible for two different plants to have the same six digits on two different cars?

Just to add one more thought. The system of stamping a partial VIN on the engine and transmission would not work as planned if they reused the sequence number in the same model year.
My scenario questioned whether An R/T, a 500 and a base model Charger could have the same sequence number since they didn't all come with every engine. The R/T didn't get a slant six, 318 or a 383. The 500 and Base model couldn't get a 440 or a Hemi.
The 500 and base model cars did share engine choices though.

Probably more than that. Lynch road was building around 56 cars per hour, two shifts a day.
How long from start to finish? 24 hours....48 hours....

I know that the Honda plant across from where I worked as an apprentice was less than 48 hours.....and they were pumped out at around 20-30 per hour. Lots of people sitting around taking turns at doing the same job. I was contracted on loan there for a few weeks as an apprentice.

partial vins contain the last digit of the model year and a letter code that identifies the plant

9 A 654321

How long from start to finish? 24 hours....48 hours....

I know that the Honda plant across from where I worked as an apprentice was less than 48 hours.....and they were pumped out at around 20-30 per hour. Lots of people sitting around taking turns at doing the same job. I was contracted on loan there for a few weeks as an apprentice.
It was around 48 hours in 1973, likely not much change for other years.

Auto Transport Service
Back