• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am looking for help in Batavia, NY between Buffalo and Rochester

Red63440

Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
Several months ago I was looking for an engine to replace the 361 in my 64 Fury, not a race engine but one with a lot less miles and better, fresher heads. I was able to find both through a member on the board and his brother (Thank you!).
Fast forward to April 28, I finally retired permanently just short of 71 years old and happy that I could work on my car and in my shop. My step son was going to help me to remove the 361 and to install the 383, parts were bought as well as a hoist and engine stand and things were looking pretty good.
On April 30th I got a call from my daughter telling me that my 56 year old son had died from a heart attack in the parking lot of Walmart, he was there to get a couple of prescriptions filled and while in the store he complained of pains in his chest and back, he had been through a fight with lung cancer and had lost half of his left lung. Two managers had walked him out to his car and offered to call an ambulance on 3 occasions but he refused, 30 Minuets later the State Police received a call about a body in a car in the parking lot.
I can't do this alone, its physically impossible to be on the hoist and under the car guiding the engine into position. The hood has to be removed and I will strip as much as needed off of the 361 before its pulled. The oil pan and pick up tube on the 361 will have to re installed on the 383 before it can be placed in the car.
I don't have the right to ask any of you for help but I have nowhere else to turn.
I am located in Batavia, NY between Buffalo and Rochester right off RT 90.

Thank you FBBO,
Bob

Last edited:
I’m truly sorry for the loss of your son! I couldn’t imagine that feeling. Unfortunately I’m in Arizona, so I can’t help you out. There are many great people here and I think you’ll probably get a helping hand or two. Take care sir, my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Very sorry to hear about your son, horrible..... Hopefully someone in your area steps up....

Might help if you put " I am looking for help in Batavia, NY between Buffalo and Rochester" in the thread title.....

Some years ago I was involved with a few e body guys helping a member who died of cancer. We were glad to do it. Hope there's a few guys over your way that can step up.

Some years ago I was involved with a few e body guys helping a member who died of cancer. We were glad to do it. Hope there's a few guys over your way that can step up.

Andy... Good guy & you guys did a good thing...

Hello, Bob.
My condolences on the loss of your son.
A tragic loss, I'm sure. Prayers to you
and yours.
It's just a suggestion, but why not enlist
the help from your daughter. She might
learn a few things and wiil forever have
the memories.
One word of caution though. Have her
practice with the engine hoist. My
daughter assisted with my engine and
trans placement as my son was in the
sandbox. She did a great job.
God Bless....

Sorry for the loss of your son and at such a young age. I hope you find some help soon.

Prayers to you and entire family for the loss of your son.

Maybe reach out to a local trade school? There are a lot of young eager mechanics and maybe they can do a field trip to your place?

Sorry to hear about the loss of your son, it’s a sad situation. I would bet there is a group of fellas up your way that could lend a helping hand . It’s a good weekend job with the right guys and it’s able to make someone else’s day a little better. If you were in St. Louis metro area I’d be by and lend a hand . Best of luck and keep us posted.

So sorry to hear about your son. Prayers are on the way to your family!

I've been in a PM chat with Bob and what's happened to him has got me right in the ticker, man....
God love him, losing his son and all is the worst, so many prayers for him and his family at this time!

When he talked about how to go about pulling and swapping engines on his own, I strongly urged
him not to do so at his age - heck, at ANY age - knowing full well I was being hypocritical in doing so
(I have posted stories of my own decrepit arse doing the same by myself, but that's just nuts!).
I instead urged him to seek out help here in the forums from some members who might be in his
area; if anything else, to help guide him on what to do and when to do it with he and his sons'
project.

So....if you're in his neck of the woods, would you please consider maybe tossing out a lifeline to Bob?
I cannot imagine a more worthy soul to donate some time to and I'd do it myself if not for the distance...
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Bob, I am about 40 minutes east along nys thruway. I am retired also, and would be glad to help you. Messege me and we can talk.

Bob, I am about 40 minutes east along nys thruway. I am retired also, and would be glad to help you. Messege me and we can talk.
That's awesome! Made my day, folk helping each other out.

Bob, I'm glad to help as well.
So sorry for your son's tragic and untimely death.
My suggestion would be to get the 383 fairly close to dropping in and we can likely pull one and drop in the other.
It's really nice to have three people to pull the hood and reinstall but I like to drive it around a bit without the hood as it's so much easier to check for leaks and do minor adjustments.
I would suggest new motor mounts for the 383.
I'll PM you with my phone number.

Bob, I'm glad to help as well.
So sorry for your son's tragic and untimely death.
My suggestion would be to get the 383 fairly close to dropping in and we can likely pull one and drop in the other.
It's really nice to have three people to pull the hood and reinstall but I like to drive it around a bit without the hood as it's so much easier to check for leaks and do minor adjustments.
I would suggest new motor mounts for the 383.
I'll PM you with my phone number.

I did purchase new motor mounts along with many other parts to update the systems such as a new mini starter, alternator, voltage regulator, new Mopar Distributor and module and several other items. I will start removing items from the 361 today.......Thanks go out to Matt and Don, I can't express my appreciation enough.:thankyou: Thank you to the rest of you for your thoughts:drinks:

Bob sorry for your loss, your son will be smiling down on you as you fire up the 383! There are a lot of great people on this site, thanks to those who stepped up!

Auto Transport Service
Back