• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I broke my 727 tail housing.

drinkingdiesel

Local time
6:37 PM
Reaction score
So since I got my car last fall it's had a small driveline vibration that increased with speed...I know, I should have sorted it out then. The other day I increased my speed considerably, lol, and heard/felt a thump and a giant trail of smoke immediately followed. But then right away the vibration was gone and everything was smooth. I was nearly home and it shifted fine to get home etc. When I got under it and took a look the tail housing was in two pieces.

So I obviously need to find a new housing, I'll have to find the part number on it to be able to find the same one. I watched a video how to change it, seems pretty easy.

My main question is what's the consensus on what caused it? I feel like it's maybe the driveshaft was out of balance? I also read that it could be the bushing was worn out, but the transmission was rebuilt less than 2000 miles ago and has a new Hughes converter on it.

20230715_130755.jpg

20230715_130734.jpg

Yes, most likely driveshaft balance or u-joint issue. A driveshaft shop can check the balance and straightness of the driveshaft for you. It can also be driveshaft angles if they are sufficiently out of whack.

Mine was u-joint @ transmission going bad, noticed it round before, slight vibration. All hell broke loose, next round when I shifted into high gear. The driveshaft looked like V for victory. That round win, was…. moving onto the finals. Was pissed, now looking back, I laugh at that young kid

Tail housings are a challenge to find without a transmission attached.

I, too, have an experience where the 727 tail housing broke resulting from a u-joint vibration (failing u-joint). Those OEM u-joints are tough and take considerable abuse before failing. It never occurred to me the tail housing could be impacted by the vibration.

Thanks for your help everyone. I managed to find one on ebay and purchased it. I'm away from home on summer holidays but when I get back home I'll pull it apart and check U joints etc to see if it can find the culprit. If they all check out ok ill get the shaft balance checked.

Just saying, don't forget post 2 about 'angle' inspection.

Got a console in there?

Mine broke when the u joint started to fall out cause I put it in wrong...........

Good Luck... Half the time when the tailshaft housing breaks the output shaft is bent.... Be a good idea to check it...

rear tall stock slider bushing for the yoke could be to lose and caused some of this issue , lucky those tall stocks are the same for many years and models . and alot of rebuilders never change out that rear bushing .

A friend of mine's 340 Swinger did the same thing at our Club annual race day. At the top end of the 1/4 mile, he felt a bad vibration, heard/felt something break, and had all kinds of smoke behind him. It turned out this his front U-joint puked a cap, putting the drive shaft out of balance. The tailshaft housing broke, dumping transmission fluid on the hot exhaust and track. The failure was so violent, that the engine fan hit the radiator, destroying it.
After pulling the transmission, he brought it to me to see what the damage was. I determined the tailshaft was not bent, and we put another housing on it. This was about 15 years ago, and it still works fine. My friend has never raced his car since this episode.

I think I have found the culprit. Bushing is wore down to copper and lots of play when slip yolk is in.

20230726_085606.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back