• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I can't believe it!

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:51 PM
Reaction score
I was driving down the road in my 69 RR and the hood flew up! It bent on both sides, can this be fixed or do I need to get a new hood? See pics.
Resized_20220521_132409.jpeg
Resized_20220521_132428.jpeg

What a bummer! I feel your pain on that one. They say anything can be repaired but my guess is there's more damage than just what I see in those photos. Hope you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance, which normally has a much lower deductible than your collision coverage, as that's what it would be covered under. I would suggest reporting the loss to your insurer and taking your car to a (very) good body shop and have them write an estimate on the repair cost. They will most likely write it up for a new hood.

I would want a new hood... The saving grace? That blackout treatment.... You only have a stripe of blue that needs to butt match & if it's not perfect very few would notice... Take this opportunity to use Organisol to re-spray the black out....

So the latch failed, and the safety hook didn't catch it? Better figure out what caused the double failure. That is a really crappy thing to have happen to a nice car!

So the latch failed, and the safety hook didn't catch it? Better figure out what caused the double failure. That is a really crappy thing to have happen to a nice car!

Yup, the safety catch should have prevented that...

I hate to ask, but have to wonder.... was the safety catch left off? Hmmm..... I know a lot of us have had bad experiences with the famous Mopar "Head Hook". LOL

Hmm I just went out and looked, is the safety latch separate from the primary latch? When I looked up hoods on AMD it said that the 68's had two latches and the 69's only one?

Last edited:
I'm not a body expert; but have seen a few amazing repairs done by an old body shop guy I've known for years. Think if the edge or profile is undamaged; no kinks, increases the chances of a decent repair? Worth looking into..

Hmm I just went out and looked, is the safety latch separate from the primary latch? When I looked up hoods on AMD it said that the 68's had two latches and the 69's only one?
You mean you don't have one of these?

s-l500.jpg

ALL B Bodies with hinged hoods have them. (Pic snagged from internet)

GTX.jpeg

Last edited:

Definitely should have a secondary latch... Otherwise your head would be safe....

This happened to my mother driving a ’68 Caddy when I was a kid. It wasn’t only the hood that was damaged; included the fenders and hood spring mounts. Also, have come across safety latches badly rusted to the extent they seized up. One more: Buddy decided to drive his ’65 T-Bird just a few blocks to his house…with the hood only sitting in place saying he won’t be driving fast enough for it to fly off. When he got to around 25MPH…well you know..

I can’t remember seeing a Chrysler product that didn’t have a safety catch for I think maybe 60 years or more.

Auto Transport Service
Back