• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

Just had back surgery last Wednesday, longest break I've ever had from my work and it really opened my eyes to just how much I hate the daily grind! I may be limited while I heal but my word is this wonderful, no 4:30 alarm, no sweat running down the crack of my *** all day, get to spend time with the family, no ignorant asses to contend with daily.... I love it!

I'm a worker, worked a full time job since I graduated, work like a dog at home too but the mindset in industry today really gets to me. Gone are the days of 40 hour work weeks where work and family have a good balance, every good job expects longer hours.... less time for life! Fortunately I'm in a position where we own everything and I just may have the flexibility to kick this job to the curb for less money and less hours.

Just had back surgery last Wednesday, longest break I've ever had from my work and it really opened my eyes to just how much I hate the daily grind! I may be limited while I heal but my word is this wonderful, no 4:30 alarm, no sweat running down the crack of my *** all day, get to spend time with the family, no ignorant asses to contend with daily.... I love it!

I'm a worker, worked a full time job since I graduated, work like a dog at home too but the mindset in industry today really gets to me. Gone are the days of 40 hour work weeks where work and family have a good balance, every good job expects longer hours.... less time for life! Fortunately I'm in a position where we own everything and I just may have the flexibility to kick this job to the curb for less money and less hours.

"Fortunately I'm in a position where we own everything'............ that's everything! Good for you!

I am just turning 59 1/2. That "1/2" is very significant. Its where you can withdraw from retirement accounts without a 10% tax penalty. 62 is still my retirement target. But the retirement "Window?" Just got a little wider.

It has been about a month. How are you feeling now ?

hope after the surgery you feel better now too...

gotta' love getting up 'when you want',
instead of having to get up
even if you still get up early, it's on your own time/schedule,
not someone else's

I made my own schedule for decades,
I've pretty much, have been self-employed, most my adult life

But the customer is 'still' the boss

when I was working full time 70hrs a week was sort of the norm
it didn't stop when I got home, or even when I went to bed

It has been about a month. How are you feeling now ?
Feeling great, little by little the pain turned to discomfort and now nothing so :thumbsup:. Problem is choirs and projects piled up, sitting here looking at the firewood situation is depressing lol. Back to work, back to the 4:30am grind of drinking caffeine to get moving but at least the weather has cooled off. Life is normal other than taking it easy, until I test it I won't know but so far so good.

Good for you, man. I have always heard that back surgery can be risky. Some times it helps, some times it makes things worse.

hope after the surgery you feel better now too...

gotta' love getting up 'when you want',
instead of having to get up
even if you still get up early, it's on your own time/schedule,
not someone else's

I made my own schedule for decades,
I've pretty much, have been self-employed, most my adult life

But the customer is 'still' the boss

when I was working full time 70hrs a week was sort of the norm
it didn't stop when I got home, or even when I went to bed
I'd love to start something up, we've got the equipment to open a machine shop, wood shop or auto garage but I've got issues! I get burned out on everything so quickly I'd dislike any of them after time.. attention span of a squirrel lol. When we built our house I drove my wife mad, I'd hang a couple rooms then go do some plumbing, then cabinets.. constantly jumping around to keep it fun. That's how I landed in Industrial Maint, I get the machine, fab, weld, design, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, etc... Right up my alley.

Last edited:
Good for you, man. I have always heard that back surgery can be risky. Some times it helps, some times it makes things worse.
Most of the time when you hear about back surgeries it's screwing with the vertebraes (screws, fusing, plates), mine was way different. Small incision where they went in and trimmed a herniated disc, pretty common surgery, I went home the same day.

I'd love to start something up, we've got the equipment to open a machine shop, wood shop or auto garage but I've got issues! I get burned out on everything so quickly I'd dislike any of them after time.. attention span of a squirrel lol. When we built our house I drove my wife mad, I'd hang a couple rooms then go do some plumbing, then cabinets.. constantly jumping around to keep it fun. That's how I landed in Industrial Maint, I get the machine, fan, weld, design, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, etc... Right up my alley.

There are many contractors and companies that are desperate to hire and retain folks just like you. (as we speak)
It may not be the time for you to form your own company.
Find a company that will allow you to help heal them in their time of need. A partnership of this kind can only lead to a positive outcome.
I too am the sort that is motivated to do everything for myself but at the same time, I spent countless hours over the years using my abilities to make a paycheck.
If you are ready to start something up on your own your instincts will be your blessings.

Most of the time when you hear about back surgeries it's screwing with the vertebraes (screws, fusing, plates), mine was way different. Small incision where they went in and trimmed a herniated disc, pretty common surgery, I went home the same day.

I went through the back surgery process and opted out of the fusing, plates, hardware, etc. My condition was corrected with a four-hour surgery to deal with an issue of nerve pinching.
My long term prognosis is that gravity takes a toll on the spine.
One can choose to jack the spine back up and pin it in place hoping that bone grafting will hold. I opted out of that.

I have the same thing but it only flares up a couple times a year. Not enough to warrant any surgery.
Did yours feel like an arrow to the spine? Mine was often a level 2 pain (Out of 10) that would suddenly spike to an 8 or so, then recede to a 2. Prednisone worked, as did other anti-inflammatory drugs.

I have the same thing but it only flares up a couple times a year. Not enough to warrant any surgery.
Did yours feel like an arrow to the spine? Mine was often a level 2 pain (Out of 10) that would suddenly spike to an 8 or so, then recede to a 2. Prednisone worked, as did other anti-inflammatory drugs.
Never the arrow to the spine feeling. Mine varied, sometimes it felt like you got kicked in the nuts, other times it was the foot, hip, etc.. basically anything south of the hernia could be in pain for no reason. Primarily it was the back muscles in the area of the hernia that gave me the most problems and caused the most severe pain. At it's worst I couldn't even get off of the floor, paralyzing pain! I managed it pretty well for the last 5 years but knowing I was always one wrong move away from loosing another month or two of my life do to nursing it back to health was what made me get the surgery. I have 3 kids that I want to enjoy and be active with, hope it was the right move. A little visual, the white is the spinal cord:eek:
20150604_112131.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I CANT'T go to work tomorrow. But that's ok, I didn't want to anyway!
Besh wishes for your future 747.

Tomorrow is Saturday BUT I won't be going to work on Monday.
Yesterday was layoff day.
Finally!
After months of doing all sorts of menial and boring detail work, I finished and was cut loose. The only other work they have is out of town and I'm not doing that any more.
I am quite happy about it. As bored as I was, I couldn't quit on them. They were fair and decent to work for.
I felt like I was a race car forced to sit in bumper to bumper commute traffic. I like to move, to work and to sweat. I want to build stuff, not paint it or adjust it. Since February, I've done a LOT of tasks that I haven't done before. While I am grateful for the work and do appreciate learning a few things, I really miss framing. Roofs are my thing and we finished the roof on this job in late January.
I am past my 30 year mark so I can retire now with the Pension locked in BUT I am still in good shape and I love the job. Sad thing is, being a Union member, there isn't much work going on that I like. I spent 2/3 of my career building houses. I'd love to do that again.
I only stuck with these boring jobs because I needed to get my time in.

Enjoy your time off. Looks like you've earned it. I know you like to stay busy, same here but maybe look at even retiring and do some stuff on the side. I am done next Wednesday after 40 years in this business. Time to relax and yell at people to stay off my lawn.:drinks:

Tomorrow is Saturday BUT I won't be going to work on Monday.
Yesterday was layoff day.
Finally!
After months of doing all sorts of menial and boring detail work, I finished and was cut loose. The only other work they have is out of town and I'm not doing that any more.
I am quite happy about it. As bored as I was, I couldn't quit on them. They were fair and decent to work for.
I felt like I was a race car forced to sit in bumper to bumper commute traffic. I like to move, to work and to sweat. I want to build stuff, not paint it or adjust it. Since February, I've done a LOT of tasks that I haven't done before. While I am grateful for the work and do appreciate learning a few things, I really miss framing. Roofs are my thing and we finished the roof on this job in late January.
I am past my 30 year mark so I can retire now with the Pension locked in BUT I am still in good shape and I love the job. Sad thing is, being a Union member, there isn't much work going on that I like. I spent 2/3 of my career building houses. I'd love to do that again.
I only stuck with these boring jobs because I needed to get my time in.

I apprenticed as a union display and furniture maker carpenter, shops and mills. Built many homes and ended up at Chrysler building crates, platforms, and maintaining a building with 5 million square feet. Most of the time I was bored out of my mind and was over qualified for my job. I spent all that time sucking it up and following the money and at the end of the road, it paid off. I get what you're saying, hang tough kid, your time is coming.

Well I don't want to go to work tomorrow even if I could.
The place nearly burned up and most everything around did.
I will most likely return to the area late next week depending upon when the infrastructure is back on line at the house. The area has no elec./water/gas.

Auto Transport Service
Back