• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

Went at 53....64 now. Still good. Just had my yearly today, couldn't find anything wrong with me yet again. lol.

Screenshot_20220402-155535~2.png

26 more working days and the wife and I will be in the "retirement club"! We will exit the work force at the same time so we can start touring this country via truck and camper. No more house payment, no more property tax, and no more utilities. Just some well earned fun on the road for a few years then back to home ownership and all that crap. Have not looked forward to something this much since the time I got Leah in the............... never mind, that belongs in a different forum. Anyway, congrats Snackeoil24

I still don't want to go to work tomorrow.
This has been a fun job though. Lots of variety on this remodel project. I've done things here that I've never done before and learned several things. I really enjoyed that part. I started this job in August and am nearing the end of it. The next job is back to what I usually do: New wood frame construction.
I did fill out my pension papers tonight but am not mailing them in yet. I have to call to check on a few requirements. The processing is supposed to take 60-90 days. I'm not desperate but that is bullshit. It shouldn't take that long in this day and age with every record stored electronically.
I've had these papers since early 2021 but keep putting off the filing of them. I'm not sure why I have procrastinated so long. Maybe it is a subliminal thing where I'm not ready to hang it up. I enjoy the work but do get tired of working in the cold or the heat. Getting up early has always sucked. My natural sleep cycle is at odds with early morning wake up calls but I've done this since 1986. Even my mother had a tendency to stay up late and wake up after 10:00 AM most days.
Most of the guys that I know swear that they pop up at 6:00 or so even on weekends.

1 HHuh.jpg

I cannot understand that. I can sleep and sleep until I feel guilty for wasting the daylight away.

Hey, KD...
Retirement is a big step.
If you still enjoy pursuing your life-long
vocation, I would keep going, if you can
survive the physical demands.
Framing houses, and getting things right,
is challenging. I've seen some of your work
from pics you've posted. Truly first class.
My father introduced me to hanging drywall
at an early age. I can attest to the benefits
of a structure that is properly done. The bad
ones become immediately evident.
It's hard to give up on something you've poured
heart and soul into. It's also hard to admit to
yourself that you simply cannot maintain
the pace. I wish you luck on whatever your
decision may be.
If you're retired, and sleep until 10:00 am,
no one is going to care about that, but you.
And, if that's one of your concerns, you've
earned that luxury.
Your straddling the fence at this point.
Be careful that you don't land in the middle.

Last edited:
Greg,
If you love what you do, that's great. That makes the trip to the finish line just that much better. There's more to life than working, it's a way to get to where you are, but it's not your life's ambition or hobby. I had the best job in the world, great pay, did what I wanted and it got me to the finish line in a timely fashion. Life is short and as one of us has said, it has an expiration date and that date should not come while you're at work doing your job. It's all about being ready financially, when that comes, the rest should automatically fall into place. I talk about money all the time and life revolves around it, that's not my fault. I just learned how to make that one of my jobs, my number one job!! People that are older and say money isn't everything, forgot that that was the number one reason for the job, to get to that sweet spot when time is in your hands and you, not your boss can decide when it's time to go home, not for the day, but for the rest of your life. I do believe that you and Mary should both be ready to take that fork in the road at the same time, it makes getting there just that much better for those of us that love family and life more than a job.......

You will know when the right time comes. You will also know if your finances are in order to accommodate retirement. I have a good idea as a union member your entire career, the annuity you've accumulated is pretty healthy or you wouldn't be toying with the idea. Hey-O is correct, money is what got you where you are today, and you are definitely at a crossroad. Choose wisely.

I haven't been retired long (7 months), but for me it was a gradual buildup. I prepared financially, but mentally wasn't ready. For me it happened late one friday afternoon when the call came from the Union hall requesting 75 Journeyman Lineman to head south again for at least a month. I immediately felt it, my heart wasn't there anymore. It hasn't been a mistake for me. And so far I have not heard of a man on his death bed say "I wish I could have worked longer".

Worked the evening shift for years and even worked the weekend shift where ya go in at 4pm on Friday for 8 hours then 16 on Sat and Sun and off until the following Friday. Hated working days and waking up early. Retired since 06 and wake up by 6 or earlier every day now. Go figure.

Physically I am still capable.
I will not drive more than an hour for work anymore. I did my time there. Screw that.
Under the conditions of the union, I can still work 480 hours a year and actually do some limited NON union work.
I doubt I will fully walk away. Some parts of this trade are still a lot of fun for me.

Physically I am still capable.
I will not drive more than an hour for work anymore. I did my time there. Screw that.
Under the conditions of the union, I can still work 480 hours a year and actually do some limited NON union work.
I doubt I will fully walk away. Some parts of this trade are still a lot of fun for me.
How does that work if you move to a right to work state, as far as working your 480 hours a year and then non union work, am I saying that right?

Auto Transport Service
Back