• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I hate chromed plastic

SDCoronet

Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
My 67 Coronet has a nice unrestored original interior. Unfortunately, all the chromed plastic looks like garbage while the rest of the interior looks extremely nice. I detest the idea of getting it rechromed only to then see it quickly deteriorate (comparatively) to the real chrome pieces that are still fantastic after 50 years.

So I ask you guys, do you know of anyone that has fabricated copies of these various plastic parts out of metal?

For example, I would be willing to pay twice as much for a steering collar trim made of out chromed metal (like the 66 did) rather than rechroming the original 67 plastic piece. Another candidate would be the armrest bases.

For the dash, I imagine someone making stamped polished stainless or chrome bezels that fit over the outer gauge and radio openings and around the edge of the dash itself. Those bezels would be epoxied in, over the old disintegrated plastic chromed surfaced, and would be PERMANENTLY beautiful.

There's gotta be a Mopar nut out there must have done this.

On my 66, long tine ago I bought a silver paint pen for the Instrument cluster and glove box door details.. Looks great.
It would not help with large areas, though.

I agree with your complaints but for 66 and 67 cars, finding parts is really hard and I think you will be waiting a long time for someone to reproduce plastic parts in metal. You may be able to buy new rear quarters long before that happens. I actually think the chrome work most of the specialty shops do is much more durable than the original OEM. I remember that by the time my 64 Sport Fury was 4 years old in the 60s, the chrome on the armrests was already mostly gone. I had most of the interior plastic inside my GTX re-chromed about 13 - 14 years ago and although it spends a lot of time in the garage, the fact it still looks just like it did when installed is a good sign.

There are some pretty amazing spray chrome systems now but I'm doubtful they are much cheaper than shop re-chroming. And Eastwood has some fairly good chrome-like spray paints.

It's a double edged sword. Had those all been pot-metal....it would cost a fortune to have them replaced or repaired/plated.

For example, I would be willing to pay twice as much for a steering collar trim made of out chromed metal (like the 66 did) rather than rechroming the original 67 plastic piece. Another candidate would be the armrest bases.

While I agree 100%, I'm willing to be this repo will be nice for years to come and not fall away as quickly as you fear.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...me-above-steering-column-plastic-trim.115562/

As for the other pieces we'll see.

In the 62 to 65 thread moparsteve636 is advertising re-chromed plastic. 8th one down on normal threads, as of time time I'm posting this.

I've just been in contact with Steve about redoing my dash. He has pic's in his posts showing his nifty work.

Auto Transport Service
Back