• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have never seen this in my life unreal!!!

I would call Tony and send him pics .
I would as well. He seems like a decent guy. If nothing else, I would think he would want to know about it because he has had quite a few parts repoped over the years. Hopefully all his stuff is not made by the same outfit.

I completely understand your frustration. I bought door hinge springs from a well known vendor.
When installing them, they just bent.No ''spring'' to them at all.:mad:

I had the crank pulley fail on my 454 dually ('88 model) and it almost killed me. Lose the crank pulley, lose the belt, lose power steering, and lose the brakes that were powered off the ps pump.
Hadn't heard about failures before it happened to me, but GM surely had. My replacement part was re-enforced, and was the THIRD revision of the same simple part.
I wonder how many brake failures/crashes that GM had to pay for....and hush up?
I recommend STRONGLY against hydro-boost brakes, every chance I get. Your life depends on a belt and an idler.

I've always said that you can only recycle metal so much.

Glad there wasn't any damage. Radiator, hoses, hood.
Recycled metal is always a part of the 'mix' when making steel but the mix can't be a high percentage. I'm thinking China pushes that percentage over the top.....
Parts by Tonka ?? :mob:
Tonka toys weren't bad when they were made in Japan.....
I had the crank pulley fail on my 454 dually ('88 model) and it almost killed me. Lose the crank pulley, lose the belt, lose power steering, and lose the brakes that were powered off the ps pump.
Hadn't heard about failures before it happened to me, but GM surely had. My replacement part was re-enforced, and was the THIRD revision of the same simple part.
I recommend STRONGLY against hydro-boost brakes, every chance I get. Your life depends on a belt and an idler.
My 97 Dodge diesel powered pickup is still going strong.....but it only has 140k on it. I've always stayed away from Chevy products for various reasons and now I have another. It's like GM uses the public to test out their crap. Nowadays I think they all do that!

The originals are stamped steel. That piece of **** is made with crap steel. I'd be curious to know the difference in metal thickness.

I bought a new water pump pulley back in December didnt even ladt 2 months. The front cracked and sheered off wow i dont even know what to say other than cheap chinese cast metal bullshit
View attachment 1422686
@flamesoldier What are the dimensions on that? I might have one. I won’t be home for a couple weeks maybe but I’ll check, if you’re not in a hurry.

I bought a new water pump pulley back in December didnt even ladt 2 months. The front cracked and sheered off wow i dont even know what to say other than cheap chinese cast metal bullshit
View attachment 1422686
Hello Flame Soldier,
Looking at this part, it does not appear to be a machined piece, most likely it is a stamped steel product made from a low carbon steel that most likely had high stresses induced into the material cross-section from the stamping process, leading cracks within the material microstructure, leading ultimately to this catastrophic failure.

I own a precision aerospace gear and machine shop, we have a Niton X-Ray alloy analyzer that we can test it or one of the pieces broken off and let you know which material alloy was used to make this part.

I would be happy to do this for you.

Sincerely,
Jim

I get that it is a pain in the *** to lose all power assist when you lose a crank pulley, but you don't lose your brakes. You lose the power assist. I stole the following off www.brakeandfrontend.com just to be sure I wasn't crazy in thinking that my hydroboost brakes work even when the engine isn't running.

"In the event of a loss of pressurized fluid, the accumulator will provide two to three power assisted stops. Upon the first application of the brakes after an engine stall or loss of power steering, you would find approximately 60 to 75% of the normal assist available. If you were to release and apply the brakes again, you would find approximately 30% to 40% assist, then again approximately 10% to 20%, until you have depleted all stored reserve assist. Once you have depleted all of the stored pressure, the brakes will no longer have power assist and will be manual in their operations."

Serpentine belt systems also suffer a multi failure issue when a belt goes out, although that wouldn't stop vacuum boosted brakes from having assist.

I get that it is a pain in the *** to lose all power assist when you lose a crank pulley, but you don't lose your brakes. You lose the power assist. I stole the following off www.brakeandfrontend.com just to be sure I wasn't crazy in thinking that my hydroboost brakes work even when the engine isn't running.

"In the event of a loss of pressurized fluid, the accumulator will provide two to three power assisted stops. Upon the first application of the brakes after an engine stall or loss of power steering, you would find approximately 60 to 75% of the normal assist available. If you were to release and apply the brakes again, you would find approximately 30% to 40% assist, then again approximately 10% to 20%, until you have depleted all stored reserve assist. Once you have depleted all of the stored pressure, the brakes will no longer have power assist and will be manual in their operations."

Serpentine belt systems also suffer a multi failure issue when a belt goes out, although that wouldn't stop vacuum boosted brakes from having assist.
Maybe. Mine didn't stop, no matter how hard I pushed on the brakes. I had to use an emergency brake after going thru a set of gas station islands at 25 mph. So, I dont give a f@#k what some research says, I don't like them, I don't trust them and I won't use or recommend them! They are a crutch for somebody who is running too much cam for power brakes.

I would call Tony and send him pics .

Tony just got it from some vendor, maybe same as Bouchellon or whoever. It's not like there's four or five different machines stamping out repo Mopar pulleys. Heck, there's likely only one. In China. I'll agree, he could refund or send another one. Then he'll have to go to his distributor, hope they refund him, etc.

Recycled metal is always a part of the 'mix' when making steel but the mix can't be a high percentage. I'm thinking China pushes that percentage over the top.....

Tonka toys weren't bad when they were made in Japan.....

My 97 Dodge diesel powered pickup is still going strong.....but it only has 140k on it. I've always stayed away from Chevy products for various reasons and now I have another. It's like GM uses the public to test out their crap. Nowadays I think they all do that!

When I was young Tonka toys were made in Minnesota, top quality. Not sure what happened after they moved off shore.

Was the MFG or vendor named?

Just to be clear, a lot of the finest steel is made in “mini-mills” that only use recycled steel (no iron ore.)

But it’s an amazing process. Scrap steel, sorted by type, is melted with giant electrodes. alloying elements are add to adjust the chemistry in the ladel.
The oem parts were probably stamped, or stamped/ welded.

China has flooded the world with cheap steel in the last few decades. All part of their industrialization strategy. Uh-oh, Paulie’s on another rant…

Auto Transport Service
Back