• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have never seen this in my life unreal!!!

I don't know about that. I have some Tonkas still going strong at 60+ years. I have a Buddy L pushing 100.
At my age, I could use an erector set rocket launcher
1677166554797.jpeg

That is scary, and very indicative of the times.

I'm sure Tony will come good for it, but what were you using for a spacer? No "ring" indication of a factory round one.

I’ve never seen a water pump pulley do that but I had a crankshaft pulley crack the center and only 1 bolt was holding it on. It’s was an oem part but in its defense it was a on drag car for many many years.

Hello Flame Soldier,
Looking at this part, it does not appear to be a machined piece, most likely it is a stamped steel product made from a low carbon steel that most likely had high stresses induced into the material cross-section from the stamping process, leading cracks within the material microstructure, leading ultimately to this catastrophic failure.

I own a precision aerospace gear and machine shop, we have a Niton X-Ray alloy analyzer that we can test it or one of the pieces broken off and let you know which material alloy was used to make this part.

I would be happy to do this for you.

Sincerely,
Jim
Jim, from one metallurgist to another - I salute you!
I hope the OP takes you up on this. I would be very interested to know the result. It's also possible during the stamping process a stress riser could have been created from the tool, an inclusion, or when they drilled those 4 mounting holes. From the looks of that failure, I'd bet more on improper heat treating combined with stresses near those holes. Improper heat treating seems to be a common issue I've seen across multiple industries the past decade.

I have new Bouchillon sourced crank pulley and water pump pulley waiting for my A/C install. Hmmm, wondering if KD has any OEM parts I can use instead...

Last edited:
When I was young Tonka toys were made in Minnesota, top quality. Not sure what happened after they moved off shore.
Yep, Mound MN originally. Name comes from the Sioux word for "big" or "mighty".

Jim, from one metallurgist to another - I salute you!
I hope the OP takes you up on this. I would be very interested to know the result. It's also possible during the stamping process a stress riser could have been created from the tool, an inclusion, or when they drilled those 4 mounting holes. From the looks of that failure, I'd bet more on improper heat treating combined with stresses near those holes. Improper heat treating seems to be a common issue I've seen across multiple industries the past decade.

I have new Bouchillon sourced crank pulley and water pump pulley waiting for my A/C install. Hmmm, wondering if KD has any OEM parts I can use instead...
I do.
I have stuff that I gathered from my numerous junkyard visits.

I just ordered a new water pump pulley this time from 440 source. Im gonna use lock washers this time with washers and blue locktite to insure there isnt any loosening of bolts in case that was the problem.

Buy low and sell high... That was my experience with them when I tried to strike a deal at Carlisle. That was at least 15 to 16 years ago. Nothing bad ever happened. I was determined I wouldn't let it. I still haven't forgotten what hard ballers they were. Limited quality, limited selection, but they've grown. Hope they helped you out with that.

Last edited:
Buy low and sell high... That was my experience with them when I tried to strike a deal at Carlisle. That was at least 15 to 16 years ago. Nothing bad ever happened. I was determined I wouldn't let it. I still haven't forgotten what hard ballers they were. Limited quality, limited selection, but they've grown. Hope they helped you out with that.
WTF? You in the right thread?

Auto Transport Service
Back