• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I know Wiki is full of crap but......

RustyRatRod

Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
I was readin up on the B and R/B engines on the net and I found this in Wiki.

"372

The 372 cu in (6.1 L) short-stroke B engine -- not to be confused with the earlier RB version -- used a 4.25 inches (108 mm) bore and was introduced in 1964 for the 1967 model year. Over 3,000,000 B 372 engines were produced between 1969 and 1971.[citation needed] Dodge's version, the D500, had a cross-ram induction manifold and dual 4-barrel carburetors as options. In some Dodge applications, this engine was labeled as the Magnum, while the Plymouth's version was called the Golden Commando. The "Golden Commando" came with a dual-point distributor, a drag-racing derivation."

A 372? And they made 3 MILLION of them? I never heard of that one.

Here's the link to the whole page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_RB_engine#440

I found a wiki about Plymouth Satellites and the photo was a belvedere.

I edited it mentioning the error, and added the spotting differences.

Two days later my edit was removed.

So much for "more accurate based on user input".

Don't forget the 372 Magnum-Wedge-Hemi version! It had 10 more horsepower than the regular 372. :color:
Someone should add that to Wiki!

3Million of them? wow, I think someone was messin with Wiki just to see how far they could go with mis-infomation?!

You got that right Rusty. Wiki is not only full of crap. Most of the misinformation on wiki is slanted to whatever agenda the poster has. You can take just about everything you read on wiki with a big grain of salt. The sad thing is that people that don't know any better think that whatever they read on wiki is gospel.

Good catch Rusty. I never tried this but may add the following to set the record straight:

The above displacement reference and bore size is incorrect but the application may be correct. The 383 engine was originally introduced as an RB (raised block) engine with a stroke of 3.75" inches and a bore of 4.03". I believe the "343" quoted above should have been in reference to the horsepower rating of the early 60's B (low block) 383 2 4BBL engine and not the actual displacement.

For a short time in the early 60's, and as special order only, the 383 B engine was fitted with 413 300J heads and a cast iron inline 2x4 BBL divided plenum single plane intake with small Carter AFB carburetors. See link below containing a factory document explaining this.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/24470110/B-RB-ENGINE

I also stumbled on this a few days ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Polara (about half way down in the '62 section) Where it's pointed out that Canada offered a 220 model as well as the 330 and 440s. Can anybody else back this up? I have never heard of such model. We have some different trim packages and interchange Dodge and Plymouth tail lights and dashes but this is news to me.

My favorite Wiki moment was looking at a page for Idi Amin, and some joker had put a pic of a stoned white kid riding a skateboard. I laughed my *** off.

Man Meeps that's some very specific info! Where do you learn this stuff?

Good catch Rusty. I never tried this but may add the following to set the record straight:

The above displacement reference and bore size is incorrect but the application may be correct. The 383 engine was originally introduced as an RB (raised block) engine with a stroke of 3.75" inches and a bore of 4.03". I believe the "343" quoted above should have been in reference to the horsepower rating of the early 60's B (low block) 383 2 4BBL engine and not the actual displacement.

For a short time in the early 60's, and as special order only, the 383 B engine was fitted with 413 300J heads and a cast iron inline 2x4 BBL divided plenum single plane intake with small Carter AFB carburetors. See link below containing a factory document explaining this.

Meepamous doesn't learn it from anywhere. Anywhere learns it from Meepamous.

Knowledge is the key... I always say... "Fill your library, before you fill your garage", to quote Mike Joy

- - - Updated - - -

here are a couple early 383ci

Attachments

• Engine 1961 383 2x4bbl Cross Ram.gif
    Engine 1961 383 2x4bbl Cross Ram.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Engine 1960 D-500 383ci 2x4bbl Cross Ram.gif
    Engine 1960 D-500 383ci 2x4bbl Cross Ram.gif
    30.2 KB · Views: 105
Auto Transport Service
Back