• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need a GTX refresher!

good luck with it! that VIN should be there on both eng and trans. if not,,,,,,,plus look at the part number on the transmission. the early GTX had 2801541, until after 5 May SPD, then the number should be PK2892093.if the 10,000 day code is after the 2801541, it will probably be Dec like the original engine. if the other transmission number is there, that will likely tell you the transmission is the original, and what real date everything was put together. Plus, if you see a whole other Part number on that transmission, then get back to the guys here.

Aren't old cars fun?

I believe the '68 law was for '69 model year? Things were changing fast in the day. But I have also learned? We are FAR more concerned with build and numbers verification today? Than they were on the production line. My '69 GTX. ('68 coded block) is not even close in the numbers game. Which means will never be $50+k. I paid $21k coming up to 3 years ago. 440 4-speed. And couldn't be happier. I only know last 25 year history of the car. Before that? ???? Enjoy your ride!

Nothing to be scared of,you know the seller is bull shitting you if he saying its original,there is no more than 7 days from the time of engine build n car build

I've seen allot more than that.... If an engine shipment arrives in plant when the stock is depleted the first few engines off the truck wind up tucked in a corner.. Now more engines get placed in front of those trapping them... If another shipment arrives before stock gets to depleted those engines back in the corner remain trapped... There are documented original engines as much as 7-8 months before the build date of the car.... Especially true of engines built late in one model year going in the next model year... During change over depleted stocks are refilled in preparation for the new builds... And as the new cars are built production is up so stocks are maintained...

I've seen allot more than that.... If an engine shipment arrives in plant when the stock is depleted the first few engines off the truck wind up tucked in a corner.. Now more engines get placed in front of those trapping them... If another shipment arrives before stock gets to depleted those engines back in the corner remain trapped... There are documented original engines as much as 7-8 months before the build date of the car.... Especially true of engines built late in one model year going in the next model year... During change over depleted stocks are refilled in preparation for the new builds... And as the new cars are built production is up so stocks are maintained...
I find that very hard to believe unless you show the documents,ive seen a lot of # matching motors n none were any more than 7 days of build date of car

I would probably pay $28k if it was not the original engine, but he is asking $38k and said he would do $35k in cash only. I have the cash in hand, so maybe there is wiggle room if I can prove it’s not actually numbers matching.

The date on the block pad is Important as original poster said, but not critical. the crucial part is as that engine went into that particular car, it then got stamped as did the transmission, not before.
My 340 dart has a production date two months prior on the transmission , but correct VIN.

I would probably pay $28k if it was not the original engine, but he is asking $38k and said he would do $35k in cash only. I have the cash in hand, so maybe there is wiggle room if I can prove it’s not actually numbers matching.
The car doesn't know what number is on the engine, just get the best price, play his game, and then enjoy the car. The old saying is: being forewarned is being forearmed" Know more than the seller and you win.

The car doesn't know what number is on the engine, just get the best price, play his game, and then enjoy the car. The old saying is: being forewarned is being forearmed" Know more than the seller and you win.
That’s my problem. How much of a price difference is a numbers matching vs non numbers matching? If it’s original, I’ll keep it that way, but if it’s not, I don’t want to pay a boat load and I’ll want to do it up my way.

Whole lotta non-original going on there....

69 hood & air box
C body console

Now I see, Headers? wrong console, and cracked. back seat belts beat to hell, even the rear seat shows unusual abuse. wrong air grabber as originally posted. And i am picky no 69 and up wheels on a 68 GTX!
( My buddys call me mr Hubcap) I am overly focused on original equipment.
The price is not the primary concern, but how much more has been thrown together?

It's certainly a '69 hood. And console I don't recognize. Stock is falling. Still, nice car. And has value.

The console body from B & C interchange, the padded top pieces are C body, the cigarette lighter in the back is C body....

Dash pad looks like it might be recovered? Missing the detail line on the top... Looks like the pad was cracked & had vinyl stretched over it..

It can be frustrating, trying to get a nice car that has not been tampered with/changed/converted.
these people all are looking for a big score.
When I sell something and it lacks certain things, I fess up and be honest. most people will pay a reasonable price if the truth is up front.
frequently I find, search, and locate the missing parts and sell them to them later, and they appreciate it.

By federal law starting 1/1/68 the VIN was supposed to be stamped on the engine & trans... And from what I've seen Mopar did... More so on performance models vs bread & butter type cars or luxury cars... Fact is most November & December of 67 cars had VIN stampings... That all said I have a 9/67 SPD Coronet R/T with no VIN stampings....
Interesting was that over the winter I was helping with a customer's one owner 68 Coronet R/T with a 9/29/67 SPD and the engine and trans both had the partial vin stamped.

Well, I got a response back from the owner. He said he tried looking for any number on the back of the block and couldn't see anything with his bad eyes and using a bore scope camera. Then proceeded to tell me, "If your worried about the engine not being original, then I should pass on it." He has 3 other buyers lined up on Sunday if I don't get on Saturday! You would think if you are trying to sell something as "Numbers Matching" you would do everything you can to prove your statement. I passed on it. Thanks for all the information that helped me from making a rash decision that I might have regretted!

Auto Transport Service
Back