• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need choked!

RockinRobert

Local time
3:51 AM
Reaction score
My recently purchased 66 Belvedere II has a Holley 4150 without a choke. I have to start it and stay with it for 10 minutes at least before I can put it in drive without it stalling. I'm guessing it was setup for racing or warm weather only driving? I dont know alot about this car and cannot get former owners to respond. Pictures below for reference. I want to be able to drive it in mild weather 40*-50* when its sunny. I realize with this manifold I dont have the heat risers to warm the carb. What would be a good replacement setup for my 440 to keep the performance but make it more streetable for my purposes?

IMG_1320 (1).JPG IMG_1325.JPG IMG_E1336.JPG

thats odd I had a 750 dp on my Bee with no choke and within 3 minutes I was good to go. Go with a holley 750 I was very happy with it. I believe that carb is for racing.

Looks like a holley hp. Nice carb, I'd just warm it up like we did pre fuel injection.

I don't run chokes on any of my cars. Quite a few Quick Fuels and some Holleys. Never have had a problem after warming them up for a few minutes.

Holley markets a manual choke system that attaches to either 4150 or 4160 models. It is cable operated. ALTERNATIVELY, an electric choke system is available for the same models.....either method is vety effective and moderately priced.
BOB RENTON

Bob can you show the op where you would mount that choke?
Holley markets a manual choke system that attaches to either 4150 or 4160 models. It is cable operated. ALTERNATIVELY, an electric choke system is available for the same models.....either method is vety effective and moderately priced.
BOB RENTON

BOB RENTON
LMAO @RJRENTON Did you happen to notice his Holley pictured?
@RockinRobert IMO, or what I would do is just grab a Holley with an electric choke. Many models to choose from. A simple 3310 would do. Then there is the slightly upscaled Brawler. Which is on my list of next to get.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-br-67213

thats odd I had a 750 dp on my Bee with no choke and within 3 minutes I was good to go. Go with a holley 750 I was very happy with it. I believe that carb is for racing.
Like davek said. I also am running a Holley 750 on my 440 with no choke. Likewise, after about 3 minutes or so, (even when it's below freezing) , it idles okay. I am running an Edelbrock CH4B intake. This setup was not chosen by me, they were on the car when I bought it. I don't mess with success. Too many other things on my list to worry about upgrading the engine presently.
HPIM0353.JPG

I was just looking on the Holley site. Plenty of choices there. I am really looking at the refurbished carbs, because of price obviously. Anyone have experience with a Holley refurbished carb? Are they reliable?

I have bought refurbished carbs directly from Holley and have never had a problem.
I think they are mainly carbs that were returned because they weren't operating properly. Personally I think they were operational carbs that were returned because the buyers didn't know how to use a carb. Ha!

I was just looking on the Holley site. Plenty of choices there. I am really looking at the refurbished carbs, because of price obviously. Anyone have experience with a Holley refurbished carb? Are they reliable?

Let us know what you do, I just posted a thread this morning. I am looking for a choke on a carb and still hold a little originality look. A lot of people are bring up the Street Demon favorably in threads. 750s go for $405.00 on Amazon with electric choke. I am over the Holley thing, and the Elderbrock I have get the job done with out a lot of drama but I think of them as just that, reliable nice driver. I will race sometimes at the Mopar meets and they don't seem to be constant.. But I haven't worked with them so maybe not their fault.. Hard to race once in a while a run your dial..

Thanks

Jay

Auto Transport Service
Back