• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need to hear from anyone running an Edelbrock 650 on their 440, please!

Sounds good Ed, Hey I wouldn't put much worry yet into the plugs looking like crap, You been messing with carbs and tune ect. You need a decent up to temp road trip on a set of fresh ones to get a true picture.
You ever pull the bulk head connector apart and look for green fuzz growing :)
Your going to get this figured out Ed I have no doubt, between all the advice you have got and your dog with a bone temperament I have faith in ya buddy.

Decent comp test , pretty much confirms what the prev owner told you about the build.
Thanky kindly, sir. :)
Yeah, I actually have had that connector apart, mostly exploratory in nature (and to make sure that infamous burn-out situation with the charging line going to the gauge wasn't happening).
I think my next area to research is how this electronic ignition system is wired. The twin ballast is new to me and I've converted several of these to electronic using the kit over the years, never seen a dual ballast before on 'em.
That voltage to the coil is bugging me still, too.
I need to get a proper wiring diagram going here.

Sorry you took my suggestions as 'preaching'. Maybe that comes from my 50 years of working on cars, building motors, drag racing and answering the myriad of questions from behind the counter at a speed shop for a lot of those years. But why stop now; listening to your video, it sounds like your motor is dropping cylinders at idle and when trying to accelerate. Seems as if your 'run' voltage to the coil is way too low. You can verify a cylinder drop problem by hooking your timing light up to each wire in succession and watching the flash, looking for gaps in firing. BTW, did I miss where you stated what the 'total' timing is at higher RPM?
Done preaching. Signed, a 3 time lung cancer and triple heart bypass survivor. But then, this really isn't a medical forum, is it?

I think I've found the problem!
See my other thread "Questions on voltage to the coil"...

Sorry you took my suggestions as 'preaching'. Maybe that comes from my 50 years of working on cars, building motors, drag racing and answering the myriad of questions from behind the counter at a speed shop for a lot of those years. But why stop now; listening to your video, it sounds like your motor is dropping cylinders at idle and when trying to accelerate. Seems as if your 'run' voltage to the coil is way too low. You can verify a cylinder drop problem by hooking your timing light up to each wire in succession and watching the flash, looking for gaps in firing. BTW, did I miss where you stated what the 'total' timing is at higher RPM?
Done preaching. Signed, a 3 time lung cancer and triple heart bypass survivor. But then, this really isn't a medical forum, is it?
Well, you did come off as quite preachy. No matter, water under the bridge.
:welcome:
Good Lord, you've walked the walk also! God bless ya, glad you're still here.
ALL help appreciated!

Yep, did the thing with the light on each cylinder. All flashy, no darky.
BTW, you don't know how right you are! The run voltage to the coil IS the culprit, as I discovered just today when I started going thru the ignition/wiring on this thing.
See my other thread "Questions on voltage to the coil".
I think you'd be proud of all the work I did yesterday and today, walking pneumonia and all. :)

Update:
SUCCESS! Installed a single 1.2ohm ballast in place of the old double one and it's almost like a new engine, the difference is so marked.
As some of you know, I've chased this problem for YEARS and to hear the car happily and smoothly rev to 5500RPM today was such a joy to my heart.

THANKS everyone who've tried to help over all this time.:thankyou:
(More detailed post over on the other thread)

Ed, I am really happy for you, congrats my friend. Many would have gave up. Plus you have corrected some other problems that would have affected the performance.
The old X should run pretty dang good now.:thumbsup:

Ed, I am really happy for you, congrats my friend. Many would have gave up. Plus you have corrected some other problems that would have affected the performance.
The old X should run pretty dang good now.:thumbsup:
Thanks so much, my friend.
You know the deal when doing one of these cars up - it's such a difference to WANT to go out to the garage and tinker versus DREADING it.
I needed for this to work. I really did.

Yay!!!!

Update:
Got the MSD 0.8ohm ballast installed today.
Voltages at the coil:
@key on, not running: 5.5V
@ idle is about 9V
goosing the throttle: 11-12V, depending

I think that's about as far as I dare go. Want to keep a little safety margin there.
How about a little video of the results?
Here y'all go:

Well done mopared, boy does that 440 sound good. I first became aware of your engine issues last August, and it has been a roller coaster ride following your threads. Thanks for sharing the details as I'm sure many others will benefit from the thought process involved in troubleshooting this issue. You were able to systematically eliminate what looked like the most probable causes at the time, and get to the root. You deserve to have some fun now, and what better way than in a 4 speed GTX!

Well done mopared, boy does that 440 sound good. I first became aware of your engine issues last August, and it has been a roller coaster ride following your threads. Thanks for sharing the details as I'm sure many others will benefit from the thought process involved in troubleshooting this issue. You were able to systematically eliminate what looked like the most probable causes at the time, and get to the root. You deserve to have some fun now, and what better way than in a 4 speed GTX!
Thanky kindly. :)
Yeah, maybe now the good Lord will allow me to take it out some and even to finish the car one day.:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back