• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I still despise the locking steering column crap.....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
And what did it accomplish!!? Not a damn thing imo. Just glad that the buzzer mess was able to turned it off on vehicles that was built in the 90's....

I much prefer the key on the dash that my 68’s have. Like the “matching numbers”, it was all for theft deterrent. But ultimately was easy to bypass. Both of my 70’s, were missing the reverser lockout crap when I got them. And I guess they both have key buzzers, but by the mid 80’s, they had been “bypassed”. I see they repop the bellcrank and linkage for the reverse thing to get the key out, but I’m not interested.

The 68’s do have the dummy thing, that you have to lock the doors with the key. Then in ‘69, they moved the lock knob further away from the side of the glass. I guess to make it harder to use a coat hanger. :D Then it ended up right where you wanted to put your elbow.:(:)

It does complicate things but since it has been a part of the majority of cars that I have owned, it is what I am used to.
I've only had 5 out of the nearly 70 cars and trucks that I have owned to be 1969 or earlier models.

I got a story about locking steering wheels...

Back in the Eighties there was a Toyota truck giveaway on the local radio station. Wouldn't you know it the wife won a chance at it. We went to the dealer on the day of the drawing and there were 102 people there to try their luck at winning this truck. They had one of those bingo drums with 102 keys in it. One by one they would sit behind the wheel and try to start the truck with their key. It got down to the last person and that key didn't work either. What a fiasco!

Apparently someone held onto the steering wheel while trying to turn the key and we all know that won't work.

So they rescheduled the event for another weekend. We all show up (some people had long drives to get there) and they decided to use the door key this time. Wouldn't you know it, the first person draws their key and opens the door! :BangHead:

The company Nissan I drive has the push button start. Leave the key fob in your pocket. Then with driving that all day I'll jump in my truck and my keys are in my pocket! I have to get out to reach down in my pocket. You can't win :rolleyes:

The company Nissan I drive has the push button start. Leave the key fob in your pocket. Then with driving that all day I'll jump in my truck and my keys are in my pocket! I have to get out to reach down in my pocket. You can't win :rolleyes:
I rented an Infinity Q80 and it had that. You could get used to it!

I rented an Infinity Q80 and it had that. You could get used to it!

Yeah I like it. It's great for what I'm doing, delivering parts. You're in and out of it all day and there's no fumbling with keys. No one can steal it unless you're close enough to it for the fob to activate it.

The 68’s do have the dummy thing, that you have to lock the doors with the key. Then in ‘69, they moved the lock knob further away from the side of the glass. I guess to make it harder to use a coat hanger. :D Then it ended up right where you wanted to put your elbow.:(:)

Oh yeah. Jeeps, Chevy trucks and the like. The vehicle gets up to 10 mph or so and the doors lock...while your arm is next to it and it will pinch the heck out of your skin. :cursin:

I love the push botton on my Kia,but all the dam keys for work and the work truck PITA

I got a story about locking steering wheels...
....so have I.....

A fellow apprentice when I was a young fella (adult apprentice at that) was telling us about a previous job he had as a travelling salesman. The new boss was taking him around to introduce customers etc, and while driving down a quiet country road, the boss (driving) decided it a good time to demonstrate how hard the steering and brakes were when the engine cut out. Stupid twat forgot about the steering lock as he turned the engine off while hurtling down the road around 60 mph.

There was a huge scramble for control of the car while fumbling to get the key reset to allow the engine to start - they had been swerving around the road a bit with hard steering and hard brakes.
Needless to say the boss went quiet and didn't do that again.

Not sure how the job went.....but Stewart had a great time telling that story to us all. :lol:

....so have I.....

A fellow apprentice when I was a young fella (adult apprentice at that) was telling us about a previous job he had as a travelling salesman. The new boss was taking him around to introduce customers etc, and while driving down a quiet country road, the boss (driving) decided it a good time to demonstrate how hard the steering and brakes were when the engine cut out. Stupid twat forgot about the steering lock as he turned the engine off while hurtling down the road around 60 mph.

There was a huge scramble for control of the car while fumbling to get the key reset to allow the engine to start - they had been swerving around the road a bit with hard steering and hard brakes.
Needless to say the boss went quiet and didn't do that again.

Not sure how the job went.....but Stewart had a great time telling that story to us all. :lol:

I thought you were leading into "The goat with his head stuck in the fence" joke :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back