• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I'm actually going to make it to the track

BSB67

Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
Thought I'd make it out in May, then June. Life kept getting in the way. Last day of September. Better late than never.

Been a long time since I've been out. Of course, just like you're not supposed to do, I made 4 changes. Had the heads opened up to Max wedge size and 2.19 intake valves. Installed a slightly smaller cam, but with slightly faster ramps. Added about 100 lbs (installed back seats) and added about 15 lbs of tires and wheels.

Here is the rest of it.

Post your 11 second combos

Not really sure what to expect. I suspect that the smaller cam and bigger heads seem counter intuitive.

Any guesses? The old combo would've probably gone 11.85 in the air I'm guessing we'll have tomorrow.

IMG_0942.jpg

Can’t wait for the results!!

New rear tires are same diameter as before?

Same rear gear?

Same converter?(stock 440 12”?)

Last edited:
Have a good day. You will figure it out. Anticipating your results.

Front tires are about .3" taller. Rears are the same.
Same gear and converter.

I had plans and prepared to try carb stuff and various valve lash adjustments. Did none of that. Mostly got reacquainted with the car. And honestly, pretty happy I made it there and back. It was 190 mile round trip.

Nice Day. Sunny and temp was 66 to 80 degrees during the runs. About 50% - 65% Humidity

Made six passes. Three with the car hot, three after a real good cool down. As usual, big difference.

3 hot runs: 11.90s @ 119s

3 cool runs: 11.76 to 11.79 @ 120.3 - 120.7.

About the same 60 ft. times for the car. They ranged from 1.90 to 1.94. Best runs in the past were 1.87 - 1.89. Could be the driver.

So, after comparing these three runs with the previous best runs, and adjusting for the different DAs it runs about the same as before the changes. Seems a bit uneventfull.

New personal learning - An 11 second street car at T&T is pretty average.

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

If you can get that car to 60ft it should go LOW 11's easily should be in the 1.5 range.... If you put a looser converter and some gear in it I think you will be surprised at the ET change...

11 second street cars might be average, but the looks and style of your car certainly aren’t.

Nice runs! Seems like it would pick up a ton with an even slightly looser converter.

New personal learning - An 11 second street car at T&T is pretty average.

I’m sure the guy in the Audi was hoping he’d have been closer to you…….. when he was looking at your “11” on the scoreboard.

Sounds like you had a great day! That's a heavy dose of torque to get that guy rolling.
Oddly enough, I too got my car out first time in 7 years. New 440 build , max wedge Victor's, and a very unhappy SV1 carb. Between burbling and gurgling managed to get 11.40s at 123. 1.83 60 ft. 3500 race wt.
2 runs and it rained.
Here's to getting things sorted out in the spring !
IMG_20231002_133942.jpg

Thanks everyone.

So I did a deep dive into the data. I compared the previous best passes from, ugh, 2008, to the three best runs on Saturday and corrected all the results to standard conditions using an on-line calc. The et is exactly the same Saturday from the 2008 best runs. Saturday's mph is 1.1 mph higher, but the 60 ft is about .035 slower. A reasonable conclusion might be that the higher mph suggests a higher power to weight ratio (more power), but netted nothing in the et because of the softer 60 ft. If you believe that, then the questions is: is the 60 ft worse now due to the driver, or is the bigger Max Wedge port size hurting the low speed intake velocity more than the smaller cam is helping? Maybe more testing will clear that up.

Between the car being 100+ pounds heavier, and the increased mph, it seems like the smaller cam and bigger heads are making 15-20 more hp.

I know everyone is right about the converter. The converter is a self imposed limitation, just like the exhaust manifolds and 2 1/2" exhaust. I have thought about a baby step up in converter stall, something like 2400 rpm (1900 rpm now). My car drives at 1200 rpm in third gear regularly, and does it well. The cam has 48 degrees overlap (seat timing) and idles at 850 rpm with 15" of vacuum. I just don't want the car to feel mushy driving through the neighborhood. But I certainly agree, low 11's are $1,000 and 4 hours of work away. Then comes the roll bar..........

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back