• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I thought I knew pretty much everything about 60's muscle. I guess not. 1967 Ford Fairlane 500 427. 425hp.

My uncle, dad's younger brother had a 66 galaxie 4 spd. convert , white and white , buck skin gut.
Special model ford sold quite a few of called a 7 liter .
Had those (7 liter) badges . 428 4spd and a locker .
I used to beg him to do a burn out as a kid.
That car would roast those 6" bias tires.

Leno has one of those 7 liters if I’m not mistaken, a black one.

My uncle, dad's younger brother had a 66 galaxie 4 spd. convert , white and white , buck skin gut.
Special model ford sold quite a few of called a 7 liter .
Had those (7 liter) badges . 428 4spd and a locker .
I used to beg him to do a burn out as a kid.
That car would roast those 6" bias tires.
My friend who runs a ‘64 Galaxy street rod is a huge fan of the 7 liter versions.

There was a pastel yellow "R" code Fairlane in the New Orleans World Of Wheels car show at the Superdome about 7-8 years ago, I had my Roadrunner in that show. I won 3rd place behind 2 other 70 Roadrunners that are "factory" perfect, although not necessarily numbers matching. No shame coming in "first" behind those 2 cars.
Anyway, the Fairlane in the car show was a manual transmission equipped car w/the 2x4bbl 427 and a cool car. I prefer the Mercury Comet of similar pedigree, and the Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt cars are legendary and DESERVEDLY so!

Back when I was 17, so circa 1977, there was a 7 Liter convertible version on the used car lot of the local Ford dealer in SW Ontario. It was that light pastel green colour with green interior. I should have bought it as I recognized it as being somewhat significant even back then. But I was a Mopar fan through and through so passed on it. Never did find out where it wound up.

factory 428 4 speed buckets wagon
Could have been a dad who just couldn't let go of his fast-car youth. Lol, wife says "Honey, you need to sell your two-door and get something more practical for the family."

Could have been a dad who just couldn't let go of his fast-car youth. Lol, wife says "Honey, you need to sell your two-door and get something more practical for the family."
I have seen a couple of Ford Station Wagons that would fill that old school (60s-70s era) "family friendly + fast car for dad" space.
One of the guys I ran the streets with picked up a 1973 or so Ford Station Wagon that had a 429 4bbl from the factory, C6 auto. We called it the Raggin' Wagon because stomping the gas had a nickname of "ragging" or "raggin' "for short.
Anyway, we drove over and through things that had never been before nor since transited across by any civilian vehicle, much less a station wagon!!
When something (I don't recall what, it wasn't my vehicle) on the wagon eventually broke so badly, beyond repair, and for whatever reason replacement wasn't an option, the decision to part out the engine and transmission was made and that 429 4bbl wound up under the hood of an early 70s "Mach 1" fastback style Mustang to LIVE ON!!
:carrot::thumbsup::lol:

I have seen a couple of Ford Station Wagons that would fill that old school (60s-70s era) "family friendly + fast car for dad" space.
One of the guys I ran the streets with picked up a 1973 or so Ford Station Wagon that had a 429 4bbl from the factory, C6 auto. We called it the Raggin' Wagon because stomping the gas had a nickname of "ragging" or "raggin' "for short.
Anyway, we drove over and through things that had never been before nor since transited across by any civilian vehicle, much less a station wagon!!
When something (I don't recall what, it wasn't my vehicle) on the wagon eventually broke so badly, beyond repair, and for whatever reason replacement wasn't an option, the decision to part out the engine and transmission was made and that 429 4bbl wound up under the hood of an early 70s "Mach 1" fastback style Mustang to LIVE ON!!
:carrot::thumbsup::lol:

I have a funny story, in the same vein.
The friend above with the stroker green Fairlane also had a (lighter) green 71 Torino wagon.... with a 429/c6. It didn't stay around long, even though my friend bleeds Ford blue. My friend will sell anything he can make a profit on, so bye bye 429 wagon.
Same friend quintupled his money when he sold me my A12. You don't wanna know how little he paid.....or me.
Same friend sold me a 428 cobra jet Ranchero. When I sold it back to him I made a profit,..... and he sold it the same day..... for almost twice what I sold it to him..... and that guy sold it for what I was paid...... without the q code CJ engine.

I belive the merc mel 383 was the first motor banned by nascar put out over 400 hp in 1958 or 59 it reved like a small block put one in 1957 ford with4 spd lasted 2 weeks before I smashed it up bought a 1959 2 dr sedan put everything in , hit a steel bridge up in Muskoka at over 85 both of these accidents were because of the suspensions , worked as mech , those old oem susp were just not ment for handling that kind of power . back then .

This car was ordered and sold new in Brantford, Ontario, the birthplace of Alexander Grahem Bell, the Inventor of the cell phone (LOL). Original owner still has it. 410/427 Sideoiler with 4-speed.

View attachment 1565247

View attachment 1565248

View attachment 1565249

View attachment 1565251

View attachment 1565252
That is a Galaxie 500. "XL" version, which is why it has the center console and buckets.
I had a white one, but it had a 390. Black interior though. 67's also are notorious for the rear frame behind the rear axle to basically evaporate into powder. The one I had if you opened the trunk, you were looking at a huge open space of grass lol. Rear bumper floated in the air in a reasonably close position to where it was supposed to be, magically still attached by the remaining maybe 15% of the frame that was still there.
Rear quarters needed the bottom edge, the rest of the car was completely solid.
They are LONG cars. Might be my favorite tail lights ever too, they look amazing lit up at night.
Was my first project car I had but it was beyond my skill to do that extent of frame repair so I sold it.
67 is an odd year for Ford Galaxie, 66 was more boxy, and 68 returned to really boxy. 67 got a swooping fender line and a huge fastback style roof on the 2 doors. I wish I had left that car sit in the shed, I would probably have it on the road by now all these years later. Oh well, I am sure the guy that bought it had a good time in my stead.

Two more "Ford stories" of the 70s era.
A good friend had a mid 60s Mercury Cyclone, the functional and pretty cool looking dual scoop fiberglass hood, 390 cu in built w/some high performance goodies, 4 speed, and a 9" rear axle w/gears around 3.90s. It did well enough on the street to have a rep suggesting would-be competitors shouldn't get caught sleeping. Also didn't see any but his in the circles and hangouts that group frequented, so that added some "cool car" points.
COMPLETELY on the other end of that spectrum: I was given a 4 door 1973 Gran Torino Brogham...2bbl 351 auto, plush pillow pad seats, and a suspension like worn out boxsprings. Basically America's idea of a "comfortable ride" in that era. It was a hand-me-down ride while I was in a gap between the last whatever breaking down and the next whatever that I'd get around in.
It felt like it weighed 6,000 pounds, and my friends and I called it "La Grande Péniche" which is French for "The Big Barge"

I had a 65 Galaxie 500, black with a red gut, and an FE. Too bad it was only a 352. Had polished center daisies on it, looked pretty sharp when it was clean.... but almost never clean.
Another car responsible for my vow to never own another black car.

I admit to building Mopars for the last 4-5 decades. Bu tI have always wanted a 64 Cmoet with that ram hood so I picked up a project this summer. All body/paint is done and I have a freshened 289 to go in and a C4 being built. BUT, late summer I picked up a 66 Fairlane post car with a somewhat woreout but running 289. Again, this old fart has done the body/paint and fabbed that 6677 R code hood scoop and grfted it on.. No it will not be a 427R code clone, just my version o
IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG
f a fun to look at and drive (slowly) cool Ford!

There was a pastel yellow "R" code Fairlane in the New Orleans World Of Wheels car show at the Superdome about 7-8 years ago, I had my Roadrunner in that show. I won 3rd place behind 2 other 70 Roadrunners that are "factory" perfect, although not necessarily numbers matching. No shame coming in "first" behind those 2 cars.
Anyway, the Fairlane in the car show was a manual transmission equipped car w/the 2x4bbl 427 and a cool car. I prefer the Mercury Comet of similar pedigree, and the Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt cars are legendary and DESERVEDLY so!
We had 2 Thunderbolts and 1 Comet version at our drag strip, neither did very well. There is still 1 Thunderbolt around that comes to a few shows.

Auto Transport Service
Back