• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identify wires for Dakota dig dash.

MMorgan

Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks. I’m installing a Dakota dash cluster in my 68 Coronet. I’m trying to identify some wires to use for install. And also I found a 3 prong plug ( yellow- blk stripe , pink in, and yellow blk stripe single wore out to a single plug . See pics! Also I’m assuming I can grab blinkers, high beam, EBrake, fuel sending wires, from original cluster plug? Also is there usually a tach wire going to cab? Thanks for help. I can’t seem to find a color schematic.

Forgot to tag pics

548A6D03-D195-40BC-B2C5-1548E4F75EBD.jpeg

427EEC8F-780F-443C-B6A1-0E7A97007155.jpeg

33C854C4-6E54-49FF-88C7-EE2C05FBEDD6.jpeg

No tach wire unless the car was made with/optioned with a tach. You should have a FSM with the wiring diagram to answer your questions. Yes you could get the feeds you want off the cluster plug. The yellow/black is a common dome ground circuit and the pink also a common dome 12 volt hot feed.

No tach wire unless the car was made with/optioned with a tach. You should have a FSM with the wiring diagram to answer your questions. Yes you could get the feeds you want off the cluster plug. The yellow/black is a common dome ground circuit and the pink also a common dome 12 volt hot feed.
So the plug must be for under dash light.

The light green wire for the cluster should go into the slot marked D. Or inbetween dark blue and red. If you look at the cluster connector it should have these colors.

A position is top of the center pin where it looks like a key hole. The square part lines up with A.

A.Orange
B. Not used
C.Red
D.LT Green
E. Dk Blue
F.Black
G.DK Blue with tracer
H.Gray
J.Violet
K.Tan

68CoronetAcluster.png

427eec8f-780f-443c-b6a1-0e7a97007155-jpeg.jpg

Most likely something that runs on that circuit. Could be Map. dome, console,key light,light on buzzer, etc.
Yea, I Was thinking maybe floor/ under dash light . At least I’ll know where the plug is if I want to install one. Lol.

The light green wire for the cluster should go into the slot marked D. Or inbetween dark blue and red. If you look at the cluster connector it should have these colors.

A position is top of the center pin where it looks like a key hole. The square part lines up with A.

A.Orange
B. Not used
C.Red
D.LT Green
E. Dk Blue
F.Black
G.DK Blue with tracer
H.Gray
J.Violet
K.Tan

View attachment 1482947

View attachment 1482953

A.Orange
B. Not used
C.Red
D.LT Green
E. Dk Blue
F.Black
G.DK Blue with tracer
H.Gray
J.Violet
K.Tan

View attachment 1482947

View attachment 1482953
Thanks for the schematic. I finally found that ( didn’t see your post). Schematic. After looking at the 69 cluster, it confuses the **** out of me. Colors are all different. What I need to do is use a number of those wires to power up the control module of my new dash cluster.it’s a great place to access those connections needed. Picture posted. Thanks for sending that.

5DA7CC4D-14FB-425D-9673-ADF5F42AAC14.jpeg

Boy< now I've done it. After removing the old dash cluster,(non rally) I thought everything was strait forward. I used the wires in the round dash plug to connect the module. I now have no power in the cab at all, except for the hot wire that bolted onto the volt meter on back of dash cluster. Is this the main power sourse to the cab? no lights, no power to the fuse block, no start! if so where would it hook up to power everything? thanks..

Red and black that tie to the amp gauge need to be connected together. Bypass the amp gauge put a nut and bolt through the eyelets and tighten it down. Then wrap tape around the junction. Lots of tape.

s-l1600.jpg

For additional help here are the wires you need to connect and what they do.

68CoronetA.JPG
68CoronetB.JPG
68CoronetA.JPG

Just save each to your computer and then you can make them larger.

Tried that but you cannot enlarge without making the images pixalated or fuzzy, no big deal, Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back