• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idler arm question for '65 Satellite...

coupe

Local time
12:58 PM
Reaction score
Pitman arm question for '65 Satellite...

Hi guys. Working on the front suspension of my '65 Satellite... Recently ordered the PST rebuild kit and this included pitman (or is it idler?) arm is different than what came off the car. It could technically be installed still, but would cause steering geometry problems and interfere with headers.

Check out pic below. New arm is on top. Does anyone recognize the slight difference? Could it possibly be a 66 and up piece accidentally included in the kit? (Says '62-70 on the box). Is there a difference in small block/big block pitman arms? (car has 383 & 727 but not sure if original) Is power steering version possibly different? (car has manual steering)

Any help would be appreciated before I go to the manufacturer to see about swapping the part out. Thanks.

idler arm.jpg

Greetings coupe; I also have a 65 Satellite and have rebuilt the entire suspension. Having said that, it's my understanding that the Pitman arm (driven by the steering box) and idler arm have to be the same dimension--which determines steering link travel on both sides of the car. One end traveling further than the other would result in wayward steering, especially on slick surfaces. Before you take this as gospel, get in touch with the folks at Firm Feel Steering. They're Mopar experts and make both Pitman and idler arms to establish "quick" steering. As to power vs. manual difference, I've had both manual and power steering in my vehicle and have used the same Pitman and idler arm on both; also shouldn't be a difference in small vs. big block. Good luck!

That arm doesn't look right at all.

Thanks gentlemen... I'll check part number with PST to see if they might have boxed it incorrectly...Gonna use stock for now.

Auto Transport Service
Back