• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you were to start from almost nothing - and build a Dana for 66 Satellite

Garceau

Local time
6:50 AM
Reaction score
I am going to need to swap out the 8.75 from my 66 for a Dana 60

I obviously have the option of starting with a complete new set up - from Moser with disc brakes about 4200 bucks. That is about as complete and bolt in as possible. From Strange a little cheaper (when did strange become cheaper) but its not quite plug and play, which really isnt that big of a deal. But moser only wanted 200 bucks for it to be complete vs piecing it together.

Obviously there is the option of starting with a old housing, narrowing it to appropriate dimensions and appropriate ends for brakes etc. My lil bro has a chassis shop and this isnt a concern at all, he has the jigs etc. But piecing together all the components including new diff/gear/bearings etc - not overly complicated. With starting new - axles, diff, gears, install kit, ends etc I am at almost 2k without the housing etc.

Has anyone started from mostly scratch and done either of the above - approximate pricing?

I did it but bought a housing for $50 spring perches cut off so that was a cheap start. Ebay $130 axles SG $250, had gears, had 10" brakes complete, sruds and nuts for BP $30 brake spliter $35 spring perches $45 had a yoke and rear cover. This was 20 years ago. Only way I'd do it agin if there was no other way. Never assembled it dumped it for $950. Buy Dana parts on ebay now isn't easy. Maybe swap meets which I didn't do.

I did it but bought a housing for $50 spring perches cut off so that was a cheap start. Ebay $130 axles SG $250, had gears, had 10" brakes complete, sruds and nuts for BP $30 brake spliter $35 spring perches $45 had a yoke and rear cover. This was 20 years ago. Only way I'd do it agin if there was no other way. Never assembled it dumped it for $950. Buy Dana parts on ebay now isn't easy. Maybe swap meets which I didn't do.

what did you do for a pinion snubber?

If you can find a junkyard truck housing with a Powr Lok and the gear ratio that you want, you are just axles and housing ends away from done since drum brakes from a 9.25, 8.75, or 8.25 are everywhere. Or you could use Ford 3.15" housing ends and cheap, common Explorer disc brakes. Get the yoke you need from other Dana 60s or 70s in the yard-7260, 7290, 1330 and 1350 yokes are all easy to find for a Dana. Get 35 spline internals out a Dana 70 powr lok.

If you could find all this stuff in different rear ends in the same pull a part yard, you would be starting with less than $200 in it. Not bad for a days work.

Try Dr. Diff. I priced an all new unit from him without brakes for $2300 + shipping. I priced all stock 67 specifications, same for 66. They may have increased a bit in the last few months, but still less expensive than piecing together something yourself. He has brake options also, but I have my own 11X2.5 rear brakes already as that was what I'm doing. Estimated shipping was about $250 from Cass

Try Dr. Diff. I priced an all new unit from him without brakes for $2300 + shipping. I priced all stock 67 specifications, same for 66. They may have increased a bit in the last few months, but still less expensive than piecing together something yourself. He has brake options also, but I have my own 11X2.5 rear brakes already as that was what I'm doing. Estimated shipping was about $250 from Cass

Oh thank you....never even thought of them. Just kind of gravitated to the big names (and big prices)

Didn't have one. No gears or brakes in picture. What do you want for the $950 I sold this stuff for? Forgott $90 bucks for bearing set.
dana 60.JPG
:lol:
:BangHead:

Why do you "have to" swap out the 8 3/4" ? :poke:

If I want to take it to the track at all, with the new motor set up and converter - I would feel a lot better with the Dana. Although it would be footbraked, which takes a ton of strain off the driveline compared to the transbrake.

I have went mid 10s with an 8.75 but it was in a light lighter car. So I know at times they are capable. But I bought this car and have no idea the internals at this point, the lash or how it was set up.

Nothing says I "have to" some of it is just a sense of security, swapping to disc brakes at the time, moving springs in and a few other minor rear chassis upgrades (although moving springs in on a 66 I dont think gives as much as the later years as the actual rear wheel wells are a limiting factor) just working on some winter time upgrades while its -50 out there

Fair enough, nowhere did it say your plans where to drag race the car. Mine already had that life... LOL

Its probably one of those things where it may see the track once or twice and since I am several hours away from the track - Id hate to crunch something. Heck I do enough stupid **** driving I would hate to crunch it anywhere. I am really on the fence about the switch. it most likely may be one of the last things on the list for this year and if I dont get to it, and run outta money - maybe its a next year thing.

I can never leave well enough alone and get a little too deep with stuff.... but hey, its cheaper than drugs and hookers

On the flip side and literally the other end of the car - my brother is jonesing to make a tube frame K member and a-arm front end for it. He is disappointed there is such a lack of these for mopars and wants to market a few of them and have a decent little additional cash flow. I told him I would only be OK with it, as long as it retains the stock appearance and can return to stock if someone wants to at a later date. But man it drives so good right now :)

I bought a Dana 60 out of a halfton mid 60's Ford P.U. for $50, it had a Powr Lok and 3.54 gears which I ran. I bought 35 spline side gears for the powr Lok along with new clutch plates, found some SS A-body 35 spline axles (rare, you won't find them) and cut the axle ends off an 8 3/4. Another $800 to a Pro axle guy to narrow the housing. All in with new bearings and yoke I was under $1500. I was patient though. It all went into this 64 and the width was perfect for the antique Torq Thrust wheels I had.
In your case call Dr. Diff I don't think you'll beat what he can do for you.

64 polara.jpg

Believe me it’s not worth building from old stuff suck it up by new use Ford ends 20 m bearings with disc brakes1350 yoke detroit cone position and be happy and no green bearings please

It depends if you can weld and have a fixture to hold the ends square. If so it's $1000-1500 depending on axle type, new gear set, sure grip or spool. Heck use the original gears and bearings, used 8 3/4 ends, new spool and axles like $600-$700
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back