• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition upgrade advice

Try ebay (vintage Mopar spark plugs) or Google Mopar P34P or P35P spark plugs or Champion J13Y or J14Y. Or if considering a non projected core nose plug, try Champion J-8 or AC 44 OR 45 or Autolite A7. Most are NOS "vintage" spark plugs. Some of the NOS Mopar plugs, especially the ones used in HP engines, Hemi, 340s, 440 HP, command high prices. But....look outside the normal applications....the UJ-11G and the HO-8A Champion plugs I use are for 2 Cycle applications....HO-8A were used in McCullough racing go kart applications and the UJ-11G were for some snowmobile use.....and work very well in my RS23V0A****** but this what works for me.
BOB RENTON
Found the vintage Mopar plugs on EBay, but I think too expensive. Planning to go with Champion J14YC. Can get them from rock auto for about $1.35 each, for generic parts and filters can’t beat them. Funny did a search for J13 plugs, no where to be found.
Thanks

If you don't need to meet any emissions testing and used the "book" timing, throw those numbers in the trash.

JMO, no mopar should have less than 10-14 initial/idle timing. If it has a bigger cam, up that number. The issue bumping initial timing, you need to tune the distributor so total timing doesn't get out of bounds. Is the carb choke horn black or darkened? That's another symptom of not enough idle timing.
Timing is set @ 12 degrees and choke horn is not black or darkened, it’s clean.Carb is a thermoquad. Trying to keep it simple think it is running too rich, thought I had it leaned out enough maybe not.
Thanks

Yes too rich on fuel mixture. Tan or light brown on the plug is what you want. I agree on the gas we are running now day's. Running non ethanol fuel is better but pay the price is up their. I am going to run 93 grade in my 383 and see how it dose. Seen some where that one guy is running some marvel oil in the tank. With the ethanol fuel. A few ounces when filling up.

Jumping in on an old thread but have question about heat range
Why is Champion J12YC at heat range of 12 and NGK 3332 at heat range 5 ? Seems like a big jump for the same motor
I am running a 1968 440 6 pack motor and was thinking about trying to some NGK's

Different scales, just like AC R43S, and Autolite 85's, same heat range different brand. For NGK the lower numbers are hotter plugs.

Last edited:
s-l640.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back